"Thunder" 1998 Expedition Build Thread .... fixed pics!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now, a little bit more exciting stuff. In keeping with the idea of doing this right from the start, with a clear goal and the whole package in mind, next step was to make sure the rear was up to *****.

Our starting point is a 9.75" rear axle with the OEM limited slip and 3.73 gears. Very nice place to start, same as an 01-04 Lightning, so the plan was to replace the OEM diff with a TrueTrac, as the original units are known to wear out the clutches pretty easily, throw a prettier cover on, and take advantage while it's all apart to freshen up the bearings and put new seals on, fixing a leak the driver's side axle seal had.

With a TCE big-brake kit in the future plans (only available with 14mm studs), the idea was to put 14mm studs in the rear axles as well at this point, so in the future it has the 14mm studs all around.

Danny Fernandez at South Florida Muscle Cars handled the wrenching, fabrication, photography and put up with the smell of gear oil that was probably nearly 20 years old, so a heartfelt thanks for the attention to detail and passion that went into this.

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

So, the first hiccup was evident right away - the rear axle bearings at some point had been worn out or damaged, and axle saver bearings installed. On an NPI 5.4 probably making a blistering 165rwhp, it's not an issue. For a performance setup, this needed to be addressed.

IMG_1492.jpg

The solution was to go with new Yukon axles for a 2002 Expedition - this killed 2 birds with one stone. Fixed the axle problem and simplifies the 14mm stud upgrade, as the 02 axles are already setup and there wouldn't be any drilling required.

One thing to note, the diameter at the outer edge of the axles is smaller on the early 12mm stud axles compared to the later 14mm stud ones, so the outer bearing has to be for a 2002 model as well.

IMG_1569.jpg

Truetrac diff went in along with the new axles, bearings and seals. Thank you Trac Loc, it's been a good 19 years!

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

Now, all buttoned up with the TA Girdle and a full-size spare (31.2" tire diameter), real estate is getting tight in the rear. No room for the OEM panhard bar, which can be seen is very tight to the diff cover looking carefully at the first picture of the rearend.

IMG_1489.jpg

Danny to the rescue! A new custom chromoly panhard bar gracefully routed around the differential fixes the issue and makes everything cleaner and easier to work on.

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

The custom panhard not only fixes the clearance issue, but also looks downright fantastic and the rearend looks sweet with the whole package and painted axle, TA cover and Belltech swaybar.

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slightly random update, realized I hadn't posted this earlier.

Upgraded to a wide center console out of an 00-02 Expy, and put in the bucket seats from my 03 Lightning. They'll get recovered in matching tan leather at some point.

IMG_0470.jpg

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Summer has been slow so no good updates yet unfortunately. There are a few little details I've worked on recently.

Running boards came off, although it kind of looks a touch high now. Means it needs moar low ;)

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

Picked these up, a little bit of customization is going to happen before they go in ;)

IMG_3201.jpg

Also got my new JL amplifiers and JL stealthbox in. Unfortunately no pictures of the stealthbox during the install, and as the name implies the completed picture is a bit underwhelming ;)

Amps went under the passenger seat. Please forgive my carpet stain :(

IMG_1721.jpg

The stealthbox is...well... stealthy...

CB544C2E-E206-47CD-BA98-053311F4807C.jpg

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sneak peek of what maybe replacing the running boards as well as helping tie in to the bumper cover so it doesn't stick down visually compared to the rest. I'm still debating this or other options, I may see if I can delete the fake vent towards the front to have look a bit more OEM.

IMG_2562.jpg

I have one more thing I'm working on that will hopefully pan out and if so, another fun update in a few weeks :)

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Happy hunting on Saturday for a truck with the rear captains chairs so I could get the floor anchors. I also picked up the panel that goes under the pedals and has some sound insulation from that same navigator.

Thankfully I'm not taking these seats!

IMG_3493.jpg

This was a pretty nasty butchering of the floor but got it done :Big Laugh:

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
Very impressive build, look like you put a lot of thought into it and I will guess it is a truck you plan to keep for a long time. How much money have you invested on it? All those high performance upgrades don't come cheap.
The only thing I did not care for was the front bumper. IN MY OPINION...looks very out of place in proportion to the body but, as long as you like it and are happy with it, that is all that counts.
I am looking forward to looking at the result when you dyno it.

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very impressive build, look like you put a lot of thought into it and I will guess it is a truck you plan to keep for a long time. How much money have you invested on it? All those high performance upgrades don't come cheap.
The only thing I did not care for was the front bumper. IN MY OPINION...looks very out of place in proportion to the body but, as long as you like it and are happy with it, that is all that counts.
I am looking forward to looking at the result when you dyno it.

It’s been in the family since new in 1998. I plan on keeping it a long time.

It is a little Jay Leno looking with just the front bumper, hopefully I can incorporate some ground effects to tie it all together.

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another slightly random update. Bumper is off for refinishing and with the spare out of the way while I was cleaning it, seemed like a good opportunity to play around some with the go-pro and see the custom rear panhard and all the goodies at work.

IMG_3628.jpg

Some more updates coming in the next few weeks too, here's a teaser....

IMG_3529.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett