Timing, very bad timing.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, not the iggy type, but life timing. For some reason which I cannot even justify to myself, I just spent 8 weeks in the Stock Market. It was one of those bucket list things like “Online gambling” or Parasailing. I’m not a gambler but last year I chucked up 50 bucks and began betting on the fights. A month or so later, my 50 bucks gone, I closed the account…..bucket list item checked off, move on. So for the next few months, I began to research the Stock market.

Like a lot of guys, I figured that if I invested the time to learn what I did not know, I could do reasonably well in the stock market. After all, it’s a bit like Fantasy Football only in that if you read all the news and know all the players, their condition and who they are playing next week…along with an ounce of luck, you can win your leagues………I’ve done it consistently for several years before getting bored and the NFL ******* me off 3 yrs ago.

For those that don’t know history…October is historically the worst month for the Exchange…..but I barreled in on October 1st with what most of us would call a bit more than mad-money.

The stock market I learned, is very stacked in favor of the big stock houses. If you for instance, buy up a particular stock (options), the big houses automatically, done by algorithms triggered by when you purchased said stock and of course by how much value is being assessed, depress the stock value by lowering estimates for competing stocks. How long will you hang on to a stock that has lost 15% overnight then holds? The money you’ve got tied up is losing every day….yet you’ve already lost 15% of say 50G, or 7,500 overnight…..so how long? See? Even with reading and processing voracious amounts of data, it’s not easy. My son as some here know is a lawyer and a brilliant kid. He also tried learning and winning at the Stock market only to admit defeat after losing consistently & he cashed out.

I am VERY happy to say that 8 weeks later, despite the Dow loosing thousands of points, I only lost .004% and considering that some lost upwards of 20% of their values, I did pretty well for a “civilian”. I stayed very active and moved monies almost every day. I admit to making two incorrect calculations by buying two duds and missing one “gold mine” BUT…..the price for all this fun, night sweats, foreboding, anguish etc as I repeatedly watched the market tank by 300 or even 500 plus points….was exactly $998.00

Yup, a .004% loss was pretty eye opening!

Looking back now, like anyone here I wish I would have made a few bucks because a Thousand dollar education is an expensive one when the “course” is only 8 weeks long but I’m just happy at this point that I didn’t lose my a__!

Anyone here good at the market?

jeff

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Jeff, I'm with you. The market, as it's run today is a scam. And the poor souls who are talked into betting their retirement savings into it are sheep waiting to get fleeced. Those I know who did benefit from stocks, usually had very generous contributions from their employers, made very conservative investments and got out whenever there was a whisper of hard times. The rest I knew lost it all.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I inherited some stock when my Mother passed, years ago. It is setup with divided reinvestment. It doesn't earn much but adds up. When the Market took a hit after Obama's 2nd year in office. I was really upset. I did a little research, and stumbled upon a article. Which led me to reinvest when the stock almost hit rock bottom. The money I reinvested has since multiplied 5 X's and the original stock is almost back to where it was prior to the crash. I don't play the market, but I am invested. The company I'm with will rebound from this small set back as well, hopefully it won't take 10 yrs!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key with “safe” stocks is to leave it in, don’t touch it. Look at all those jacks who sold down in 08’ for fear the end has come and lost their *****. Had they left it in now they’d be way up... generally over an 8 year period it will be up, just leave it in! Don’t let fear cripple your investment.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smartest place to put your money is in a safe 3-4 percent return, like city bonds, or like Jeff stated Gold or Silver. If you've got big money, and good credit, the San Francisco real estate market is a win win. Just don't try renting out San Francisco houses or apartments. Great rents each month, but to get rid of Tennant's costs a fortune. Stock market is like any gambling, very few make a living off it. Kenny Rogers sang it best.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fear and prudence are oft confused but one is ruled by emotion and the other the mind.....

Apparently, I was correct in thinking that Thurs was a good day to make a couple of aggressive moves ahead of the G20 summit. Knowing this and Trumps desire to negotiate with China, I moved from "safe" to a bit more aggressive for a couple of days. I did well Friday and I would expect today to as well....tonight we'll see. Qatar leaving OPEC in Jan is having some impact on oil prices but overall, very little.

Fact is, all these funds are staying put....it's just that I can move it from safe to "reaching for the stars"....which gives me a safe base to fall back to.

Funny what you say bout the SF real estate market. Back during the first Gulf war I was dating a VP for Raytheon(Patriot missiles) who used to fly into DC for lobbying, Pentagon briefings, bang her BF etc, and she owned a 2 bdrm BUNGALOW that she paid $750,000 TWENTY YEARS ago!!! Can't imagine what that bungalow is worth now.

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Small 2 bedroom houses that were selling for 300-400 thousand in the late 90's are worth 1.3-1.5 million today. Her $750.000 condo is probably $3,000,000 or higher today. It's insane and growing each month.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's amazing Moose....3 MILLION.....that's like stupid money, right? Everything is relevant though. I have had a dozen offers over the years to take a position out there and over the years the #'s go up with inflation& cost of living but the last offer was in the range of almost double what the job pays here in the Wash-Balt corridor.

The folks that have done particularly well are the ones like her, that bought cheap!!!

jeff