Tire suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did not note your location Edizzle (Cashiers - assume NC?). We regularly run from South Florida up here (Highlands) - the Expedition was up here all last week. Our usual route is the Dillard road up the mountain, and we come down your way regularly. The Firestones do very well on these roads, wet or dry.

amichaud

Reaction score
Being that I am located in the northern Rocky Mountains, not sure if my recommendation would apply to Cashiers, NC.

However, we just put on a brand new set of 8-ply 20 inch BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires. Went with 8-ply to tow our 9,000 lb. travel trailer. Not sure if they offer this tire in a 22 inch size.

In my opinion this is the best all-around tire you can buy for our climate and terrain. Excellent off-road capability, 3-peak snow rating, excellent ice traction, does well on wet surfaces, and fairly quiet on the pavement for an all-terrain tire. The only downside is the softer rubber compound that gives better traction comes at the price of an accelerated tread wear rate.

But since my wife only puts on about 5,000 to 7,000 miles per year, accelerated tread wear is not a major concern.

View attachment 38523

View attachment 38524

Do you have a pic of the whole car with these on? I've had these on my Jeep previously and loved them. Was curious how they'd look on my expo.

UTEngineer

Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the whole car with these on? I've had these on my Jeep previously and loved them. Was curious how they'd look on my expo.

I will try to get a photo of the whole vehicle in the next couple weeks. Unfortunately we are on quarantine that just started last Thursday for the next 14 days so not sure when our Expedition will be out of the garage for a good photo. So please be patient ... thank you.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone should start a thread or spreadsheet tracking users, lift kits, wheels, and tires. Pics would be nice, too.

I'm too lazy after work or I would. LOL

OP
OP
E

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did not note your location Edizzle (Cashiers - assume NC?). We regularly run from South Florida up here (Highlands) - the Expedition was up here all last week. Our usual route is the Dillard road up the mountain, and we come down your way regularly. The Firestones do very well on these roads, wet or dry.
I drive dillard road regularly!! Wish I had known you were up, we could have had lunch!! My daughter attends Rabun Gap so we are all to familiar with Dillard Road.

Alex Taylor

Reaction score
Quick question on this thread I have 22's with the standard Hancock tires with 285 width. Just curious if I wanted to go wider but still stay with streetable tires can I go to 305/45/22 all the way around, will the rim support it? Thanks in advance.

Alex

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question on this thread I have 22's with the standard Hancock tires with 285 width. Just curious if I wanted to go wider but still stay with streetable tires can I go to 305/45/22 all the way around, will the rim support it? Thanks in advance.

Alex

I saw someone put 305/55 R22's on the stock rims. I think you will be ok.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Alex

Yes! I am running 305/45/22 Toyo AT3’s on an all stock setup without any issues. Discount Tire told me they wouldn’t fit (per their computer), but was nice enough to give it a try anyways. I can make them touch the upper control arm at full lock when sitting still in the garage, but while driving I can’t get them to touch. (Note: I don’t do any serious off-roading in the Expy, just deer lease type dirt roads)

Last edited:

Alex Taylor

Reaction score
Yes! I am running 305/45/22 Toyo AT3’s on an all stock setup without any issues. Discount Tire told me the wouldn’t fit but was nice enough to give it a try anyways. I can make them touch the upper control arm at full lock when sitting still in the garage, but while driving I can’t get them to touch. (Note: I don’t do any serious off-roading in the Expy, just deer lease type dirt roads)

Great news I love Discount Tires and only buy from them. Will, "Upgrade" to these tires (again just got the vehicle when it's time.) It's never a bad idea to have a bit more rubber on the road an I don't plan to ever do any serious off roading. (I live in AZ.)

Thanks again.