Tow 5000lbs Ohio to Florida?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
So I need to tow a boat from Lake Erie to central Florida. My rig is 2000 EB 4x4 in excellent condition.
Boat, motor, trailer +/- 5000lbs on tandem axle w surge brakes.

I’m thinking of doing another tranny and coolant flush before.
Tires good. Brakes good. Spare tire not so good. A/C compressor little noisey sometimes but works good.

Have spare for trailer.

Would you make that trip?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A failed spare would make for a terrible day when towing, would be one nasty tow bill if required, new tire is probably cheaper and sounds like it's time anyhow.

If its in otherwise good shape mechanically and been reliable I wouldn't have concern. Coolant and Trans service can't hurt. I'd do it before you leave, a day or so before just to make sure no issues suddenly arise from anything you've done, or forgotten about.

Weather is supposed to cool down towards the end of the week up here, mid 70s are probably better than near 90 when towing I imagine.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy one of those non contact temperature guages and check temps of tires and hubs on the trailer and Expy every few hundred miles. More frequently when you start out. You don't need a bad bearing or dragging brake to fail you. Also check your radiator temperature. Keep a log of those plus ambient. Obviously, you need to monitor tire pressures,

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Would replacing the original radiator be a wise preventative step?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its in questionable shape and or not doing the job, sure. As preventative maintenance unless it has shown cause for concern I would probably pass unless it's something you already have on the books for this season, it would be silly to wait in that case.

Funny someone mentions a dragging brake. My driver front just started this. Good thing the navigator is just waiting around to be driven for a day or two. Will let the weather cool off to the 60s this week and let me order parts vs the markup at the chain stores. Won't be a half bad job given the circumstances. I'm due for an oil change soon so will knock that out as well.

My father in law has had his share of failed hubs/bearings while towing over the years. His boat trailer lost a bearing at hwy speeds and by the time we could get moved over safely it was smoking like crazy, very close to a fire I would imagine. It slowed down some traffic for sure.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just my experience that I have seen a lot more trailers missing a wheel on the side of the highway than tow vehicles broke down. As a good preventive measure I would inspect, repack or grease trailer wheel bearings if not done recently.