Tow package fuel economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not terrible and I'm not devastated, just a bit disappointed with the 18.8. I don't expect that much all the time or even really that much more, and I wasn't hoping for a ton but it does say 22 hwy on the sticker, so I was hoping to stretch her legs a bit and hit a number that started with a 2 is all. It seems possible based on other posts on here. Overall it's not bad, but my 2009 5.3 Suburban got 2 mpg less than that on hwy trips so the jump from the V6 and ECO mode just wasn't as high as I thought it might be. I'll keep working to increasing my mpg skills.

well you could have a Honda Minivan. They lie and say like 27. Maybe being pulled by a tow truck. Calculated by hand they get 19ish with a little mixed driving and 21 tops on straight Hwy. I’ve tried both stock and eco delete cable and it’s about the same. Total bs.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I getcha. At first i thought the same. I learned what mines likes best. Its easier for me to get to fords numbers since mines is 2wd.

what exactly are you getting? I’m looking at a 2wd platinum and a 4wd limited. Same money within a few hundred. I kinda like the looks of the limited better and it has 302a so the CCD is there. Think I’d really only lose adaptive cruise and some leather I don’t care about.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what exactly are you getting? I’m looking at a 2wd platinum and a 4wd limited. Same money within a few hundred. I kinda like the looks of the limited better and it has 302a so the CCD is there. Think I’d really only lose adaptive cruise and some leather I don’t care about.

You wont lose adaptive cruise on 302, but you will miss the massage seats. I liked em, wife loved em, but the ltd seats are slightly more supple since theirs no mechanism. Also, idk if you drove them already, but platty is quieter overall as well. I have reg springs on my ltd but I think i saw on here the platty tuned ccd is slightly better than ltd tuned ccd. As far as mpg is concerned, my lifetime avg is 18 being a daily driver, as a road tripper it was at 22. On the hwy, i usually avg 24ish mpg with a 72mph avg. I live in delaware and taken it to dc, md, sc, fl, ny, pa and tx twice. If i want best mileage, i put cruise on 65mph. Best i did was 29mpg goin to dc. All trips going south, it avg 25mpg with avg range 590miles(570 btw fillups). Those numbers are based on truck comp, but hand calc spread was less than half a mile per gallon. It does considerably worse goin to ny or pa. As a reference pt, we took wifes cx5 to san antonio same rte we take expy, 1600mi. 3 fill ups for expy one way, 5 fillups in the cx5.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Platinum also gets you: more hp, light colored headliner instead of black, real wood inlays instead of whatever is in the Ltd/Xlt, better/more leather, really nice quilted leather on the doors, massaging seats (worth it), active noise cancellation, brushed nickel exterior accents instead of chrome, brushed nickel sideview mirror caps instead of body color, brushed nickel roof rails instead of black. I also seem to remember the carpets are thicker, but I may be misremembering that.

If you like the look of the Ltd better, go for it. But I love the plati.

Oh, and my heavy foot and I get about 15mpg lifetime. That’s hand calculated (so not the dash computer which says 16.2 lifetime) and is about 75/25 city/highway. On road trips I average about 20.5.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
O yea, all my hwy trips are done in eco mode as well.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s some good info guys, thanks.

the limited I drove had nice seats. I’ve seen someone in here complain about hard seats in a platinum. I need to drive one, but the small dealer here doesn’t carry any.

I like the limited grill and the brownish death and wheel. I thought the headliner was tan too. The platinums all appear to have black dash and other things, don’t really care for that. The noise canceling is probably a good thing to consider as an offset.

I don’t need a 4wd. I lost out on a 2wd limited that was a bit cheaper than these two. Having a hard time pulling the trigger on a 13 hour trip to see them. Might wait until late in model year to see if incentives are decent enough to place an order. Seems things won’t get much cheaper than these marked down 19s though. Been watching for last 8-9 months. I’ve got good van, just not good enough after living with it.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s some good info guys, thanks.

the limited I drove had nice seats. I’ve seen someone in here complain about hard seats in a platinum. I need to drive one, but the small dealer here doesn’t carry any.

I like the limited grill and the brownish death and wheel. I thought the headliner was tan too. The platinums all appear to have black dash and other things, don’t really care for that. The noise canceling is probably a good thing to consider as an offset.

I don’t need a 4wd. I lost out on a 2wd limited that was a bit cheaper than these two. Having a hard time pulling the trigger on a 13 hour trip to see them. Might wait until late in model year to see if incentives are decent enough to place an order. Seems things won’t get much cheaper than these marked down 19s though. Been watching for last 8-9 months. I’ve got good van, just not good enough after living with it.

Definitely sit in a Platinum. I am not in any way attempting to disagree with those on here who have complained about the seats being a little firm, but most folks who sit in mine make comments about how comfortable the seats are. Including on long road trips.

And it’s very possible the tan headliner trickled down to the Ltd in ‘19s or ‘20s. In the ‘18s it was only available on the platinums.