Tow package fuel economy

Discussion in '4th Gen - 2018 - present' started by Capt John, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Capt John

Capt John New Member

When NOT towing, does the tow package (3.71 axle) impact gas mileage? The window stickers don’t change, but I’m wondering what the real world says. I want the tow package but not at the expense of significant drop in mpg. We won’t actually use it to tow that much, just thought it would be a “nice to have” since we’re boaters and have several boats, you never know if/when you might have occassion to tow with your SUV as opposed to your truck.

jak1221 likes this.
  2. Tripinbillie

Tripinbillie Member

According to the computer, I get 19.4 not towing.. Haven’t towed yet, so dont know difference yet.. if anything like my F150 its about 10MPG

3. Doug Morgan

Doug Morgan Active Member

On the highway I average 20-21 mpg cruising at 70.

4. Highlightreel

Highlightreel Active Member

'19 Shorty w/ tow...I'm at about 19.3 for a 1000 mile trip I just took from MPLS to KC driving about 8 mph over on 87 octane and mostly in ECO mode. 9,900 miles on mine and lifetime avg (on Trip 1 which I have made my 'never reset' one) is, to me, a disappointing 18.8.

I notice about a 1-1.5 mile increase in ECO vs. Normal on my 600 mile trips for work on freeways.

5. dlcorbett

dlcorbett Full Access Members

Wow 18.8 is disappointing...what were you expecting? Thats pretty nice for a 400hp 6k lb 17ft long luxury block rollin on 22 in wheels with a heavy duty axle turnin underneath it. Most new crossovers only get 20 or 21 mpg avg

6. scottdm

scottdm Full Access Members

I guess it's all relative. I didn't buy this vehicle for the mileage, but having an updated diesel offering (not the current 3.0 PowerStroke) would be a nice option. The new 3 liter straight 6 from GM has my attention based on some of the videos I've seen on TFL (34 mpg running empty at 70 mph for a 2wd model). If GM offers their new 3 liter diesel on the new Tahoe/Suburban, Ford is going to have to step up to the plate with some alternative powertrains for the Expy. I thought I read that the new UAW contract with Ford discussed a hybrid Expy at some point in the future.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  7. dlcorbett

dlcorbett Full Access Members

Yea i believe ford is acricely workin a hybrid version of the expy and navi to be released 2023 model(mid cycle refresh)

8. Deadman

Deadman Full Access Members

Here's what mine did on a trip my wife and I just did. We ran all over getting things for her, and a bunch of interstate and some idling and I think its great milage myself. This is a tow pack 4x4 Max loaded completely full of stuff we picked up for my wife.

MPG.jpg

9. m3bs

m3bs Member

I took a 3000 mile trip right after I bought mine. Shorty Limited with tow pkg. Averaged over 23 for the trip running about 5 over posted limits. 24-25 indicated on trip computer. I’m good with that.

10. NukeLife

NukeLife Member

I average about 19mpg for combined driving. But I like “exercising” the turbo. :emotions33: