Tow Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QMastaD

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I just placed an order for a 2018 Limited Max. The order has the Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Pkg. I just found one today in NJ that has everything I want, but instead of the Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow it has a Class IV Trailer Tow Pkg. Does anyone know the difference? is there a difference? I tow a travel trailer and that is the main reason I am getting this vehicle. I would like to get the Expy now, but I am willing to be patient to get the right one.

Thanks!

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's very likely the same option. To be certain, ask the dealer if it has the Pro Trailer Backup Assist and Trailer Brake Controller on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Those are only included with the HD Trailer package.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Class IV Trailer Tow Pkg is the standard package. All limiteds have this by default.

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "Class IV Trailer Tow Pkg" comes with every Expedition and is basically a receiver and the wire harnesses. Assuming you didn't order an FX4, the "Max Tow Package" gets you an upgraded radiator, an integrated trailer brake controller, an upgraded rear axle (3.73 gear ratio, electronic limited slip/locking differential), and the (gimicky) trailer backup assist. If you're getting a 4x4, the max tow package also gets you the 2 speed transfer case (true hi/low 4x4 versus AWD).

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "Class IV Trailer Tow Pkg" comes with every Expedition and is basically a receiver and the wire harnesses. Assuming you didn't order an FX4, the "Max Tow Package" gets you an upgraded radiator, an integrated trailer brake controller, an upgraded rear axle (3.73 gear ratio, electronic limited slip/locking differential), and the (gimicky) trailer backup assist. If you're getting a 4x4, the max tow package also gets you the 2 speed transfer case (true hi/low 4x4 versus AWD).
What Shane said, if you are towing the trailer you describe get HD Tow. It is how you get the actual tow capability of 9,200 lbs.

FYI I live in Jersey and drove/flew to Arcadia FL to get mine with the HD Tow as Jersey had none in the config I wanted.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it really gimicky?
For the most part, I think it is. If you already know how to back up a trailer, it doesn't add a lot of value. And it's not very useful with a travel trailer or enclosed trailer because the camera (and little guide lines) only show you the front of the trailer (because the trailer blocks the view). So, for the most part, if you're going to be towing a boat and don't know how to back up a trailer, it's probably very useful. That said, I went ahead and paid the $600* for it because if you ever have to back down a long road with no turn around, you'll spend the entire several hour experience wishing you'd have paid the extra money.

*The FX4 package include everything in the max tow package except the integrated trailer brake controller and the pro trailer backup assist. And the integrated trailer brake controller can be installed by a dealer for ~$500. So my $1100 max tow package breaks down to $500 for the ITB and $600 for the backup assist. (And, yes, selecting the FX4 box drops the price on the max tow package...)

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The default Class IV receiver is standard on all Expeditions And tops out at 6000lbs capacity. With the HD Tow package, you get 9000lbs capacity and it also includes the upgraded heavy duty radiator and 3.73 axle ratio as well as the trailer TPMS and backup assistance. If you have the driver assistance options, you also get the blind spot information system (BLIS) that attempts to extend to cover the trailer. In my experience that’s pretty nit or miss, same with the trailer TPMS, but the HD tow package is worth it the extra capacity, bigger radiator and having 3.73 gears. If you’re pulling a 5000lb + travel trailer, or even just pulling a trailer more than a few times in a year, you want the upgraded tow package.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The default Class IV receiver is standard on all Expeditions And tops out at 6000lbs capacity. With the HD Tow package, you get 9000lbs capacity and it also includes the upgraded heavy duty radiator and 3.73 axle ratio as well as the trailer TPMS and backup assistance. If you have the driver assistance options, you also get the blind spot information system (BLIS) that attempts to extend to cover the trailer. In my experience that’s pretty nit or miss, same with the trailer TPMS, but the HD tow package is worth it the extra capacity, bigger radiator and having 3.73 gears. If you’re pulling a 5000lb + travel trailer, or even just pulling a trailer more than a few times in a year, you want the upgraded tow package.
Are you sure on the trailer TPMS? As in have you gotten it to work or are you just going off the paragraph in the owners manual?

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have the same question about the trailer TPMS. I have a Max Platinum with the HD trailer package on order but have been completely unable to get a definite answer on whether the Expy really does have the trailer TPMS or not. If it does, no one seems to know what supplemental kit is needed for it; the kit to activate it on the Ford Super Duty trucks is not compatible according to the parts catalog, and there is not one listed for the Expy.