Towing Advice Please - Considering Aftermarket Modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, Looking for some feedback and advice from experienced towers and gear-heads on a route I'm considering.

I bought a '19 XLT 4x4 202a (no HD tow package) last December on a great deal from the local dealer ($12k off msrp and 0% for 72mo).

I didn't think much about the towing because the boat I have is only about 25' 5k lbs fully loaded. I have towed it up and down a mountain already and it was worry-free.

We are now looking at a travel trailer, and the 6k lbs tow rating seems to be the difference between getting something a little too small, and something with enough space that we know we won't grow out of it quickly.

I checked with the dealer and they don't have the same specials on an expy with the tow package, and they won't give me anything for my 10mo old XLT. So it got me considering a couple modifications to my vehicle to make sure I can safely tow what I'm looking for. Since (from what I understand) there is not a difference in engine tuning, brake size, or tire rating, I figure it wouldn't require crazy modifications to get my 6k tow rating closer to the HD tow package rating.

Trailer I am considering: 7521lb Gross Weight (5380lb Dry, 2241lb cargo capacity), Hitch weight 621lb

This is what I'm considering doing as my own "HD tow package":
1. Researching changing differential gears to the same as the tow package: 3.73
2. Air Lift helper springs for towing
3. Trailer Brake Controller
4. Potentially adding heavier duty Radiator and a transmission cooler

I just started researching the details, and so far nobody has gears available for the '19 Expedition. I called a shop that sells gear sets for F-150's and they said they haven't had a chance to modify an expedition yet so they couldn't offer any advice.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Going to the 3.73s is a whole beast of a move from what I've seen. It's an entirely different rear dif, programming, ect, not just the gears. That being said, a handful of people here have commented that the 3.55s (is that what you have?) work just fine... I've seen someone toss out $5-7K to do this if I'm remembering.
2. I don't believe there are any air lift systems that will help you without being very custom. Remember this is an independent rear suspense car. Now what you could do is order a set of the HD springs that come on the FX4 or HD Tow package vehicles. In addition to this, many have had great luck with the sumo spring inserts to help stiffen up the rear end a bit.
3. Don't tow without a brake controller. You can add the factory DIY or the dealer should be able to do it for somewhere in the $2-400 range. Keep in mind, you do need Forescan to active the brake controller if you DIY it.
4. I would first watch your temps and see if this is needed before spending the money. Much is dependent on your location, ambient temps, pulls you make etc. Note the Gen 2 EB runs pretty warm compared to "traditional thinking". If you do decide it's needed, just spend the money on a high end aftermarket like Mishimoto or Full Race.

That's all I got...

Except, be aware this still may not make you "Legal" depending on weights.. simply makes the TV more capable.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 tows 7K with 3.31 gears just fine. The 2019 3.73 upgrade isn't simple because the stock part is an electronic locker. There may be an aftermarket mechanical 3.73 locker available from Eaton Truetrac or Powertrax but I can't confirm whether those parts work. The gearing isn't really the limit. You need the cooling and brake controller for sure, as well as a good weight distribution hitch. Air suspension and helper springs are a crutch. The WDH is needed to retain traction for steering and braking on the front axle.