Towing Capacities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm directly on ford.com reading the specs for Expedition MAX 4x4. Its Max Towing Capacity is rated at 9,000lbs, but other web sources indicate a lower (6500lb) capacity.

Is the 9,000lbs capacity WITH or WITHOUT the heay-duty tow package (which I don't have)?

Contemplating renting a camper trailer for the summer and having solid numbers with respect to towing would be helpful.

Many thanks everyone.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it. Sounds like a heat dissipation issue for the radiator and transmission cooler. Next year I’ll be sure to buy an Expy with the HD tow package.

Surprising as the lighter and smaller Mercedes GLS-450 has a 7500lb rowing capability in base form.

Thanks for your answers.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it. Sounds like a heat dissipation issue for the radiator and transmission cooler. Next year I’ll be sure to buy an Expy with the HD tow package.

Surprising as the lighter and smaller Mercedes GLS-450 has a 7500lb rowing capability in base form.

Thanks for your answers.

Curb weight of a GLS is 5700lbs.

Curb weight of an Expi is 5368/5623 (2wd/4wd) for the shorty and 5534/5794 for the Max.

The GLS is a direct competitor with the Expi, they are the same class. But the GLS is heavier than the Expi in almost all but the much larger Max with 4x4 (the Max is almost a full 2 feet longer than the GLS).

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curb weight of a GLS is 5700lbs.

Curb weight of an Expi is 5368/5623 (2wd/4wd) for the shorty and 5534/5794 for the Max.

The GLS is a direct competitor with the Expi, they are the same class. But the GLS is heavier than the Expi in almost all but the much larger Max with 4x4 (the Max is almost a full 2 feet longer than the GLS).

I think it’s Fords aluminum body with comparison to the GLS. The ‘07-‘17 Expedition steel body curb weight is quite a bit heavier than the GLS at 5,808 lbs for shorty and my Expedition EL weighs in at 6,200 lbs curb according to the manual.

Last edited:

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks for your answers.
The transmission cooler is the same regardless of HD tow or non HD tow. Radiator is larger in the HD tow and rear end gear ratio is different.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The transmission cooler is the same regardless of HD tow or non HD tow. Radiator is larger in the HD tow and rear end gear ratio is different.

Most radiators have the trans cooler built into them.... How do you know that this bigger radiator doesn't also house additional trans cooler area?

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most radiators have the trans cooler built into them.... How do you know that this bigger radiator doesn't also house additional trans cooler area?
2018+ Ford has moved it to a water cooled heat exchanger that is attached to the front of the transmission pan.