Towing Capacities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018+ Ford has moved it to a water cooled heat exchanger that is attached to the front of the transmission pan.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

How is the water cooled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With HD tow package no WDH is needed up to 900lbs, 600lbs for no tow package.
I don't really follow why the WDH hitch numbers would not kick in at the same point for a non HD vs an HD. Suspension, brakes, etc...are the same between the two. I would think the requirement for a WDH would kick in at the same weight.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really follow why the WDH hitch numbers would not kick in at the same point for a non HD vs an HD. Suspension, brakes, etc...are the same between the two. I would think the requirement for a WDH would kick in at the same weight.

It does, the class IV hitch says so right on the stickers. Both HD tow and non HD tow must use weight distribution after 600 pounds tongue weight.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Agree with the weight distribution hitch necessary over 600lbs.

If the description on parts.ford.com is accurate, then the spring is different between the heavy duty tow package and the standard tow.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/spring-coil-6606689-1#sectionId:4167928

For the OP, below is a link to the 2018 Ford Expedition towing guide.
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...l/pdf/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_Expedition_Oct5.pdf

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with the weight distribution hitch necessary over 600lbs.

If the description on parts.ford.com is accurate, then the spring is different between the heavy duty tow package and the standard tow.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/spring-coil-6606689-1#sectionId:4167928

For the OP, below is a link to the 2018 Ford Expedition towing guide.
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...l/pdf/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_Expedition_Oct5.pdf
Springs on the 2018+ are the same between both.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With HD tow package no WDH is needed up to 900lbs, 600lbs for no tow package.

I tow a 7,000# travel trailer and there is no way I woud EVER tow it without WDH. The steering gets real squirrly when the wieght is over 5,500#. I tow campers from RV shows and I always bring home the smaller campers when not set up for WDH, IE <5,500#.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Springs on the 2018+ are the same between both.

I decided to look at this further and I still think the coil springs are different between with and without heavy duty tow package. I searched for two VIN's online. I narrowed my search to 2019 Expedition Max XLT's RWD. I picked one VIN with heavy duty tow package and one without. I then searched for the rear coil spring on parts.ford.com while filtering for the specific VIN. Below are the results. Notice that the description even indicate as such. Note the VIN's are visible in the screenshots. Also note if searching for two different VIN's on parts.ford.com, it is best to close and reopen the browser. It seems to remember the old VIN in the background.

With heavy duty tow
Heavy tow.png

Without heavy duty tow
Non-tow.png