Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well guys I made another successful trip, went from Baton Rouge La, to Wichita Kansas took us 18hrs but we made it safe which is most important, didn't sway too much honestly, but after towing it personally my wife and I are definitely going to get us a WD hitch just for safer travel.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the truck hooked up

fb557f34b7fbefcdd74793ec15180c19.jpg

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can effectively change the gearing with tire-size; but 3.31 will be okay; don't stress it too much.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah the 3.31's work fine with my programmer the truck is running perfect. I don't stress it, I drive it where I'm comfortable at

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Judging from the pic it looks like your Expy is squatting quite a bit. About 60-70% of your stopping/braking is from the front brakes. If you're too light in the front, you're degrading your stopping/braking capability considerably. I'd seriously consider getting a WDS! Keep in mind that a WDS does not automatically include sway control. Sway control is a separate set up. There are a few WDSs that incorporate sway control in their system, such as the Andersen, but most do not. WDS evenly distributes weight. Sway control reduces sway.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I recall correctly I have 5 1/2ish inches of clearance unloaded and it only dropped it like 2 inches if I remember right. Already looking into a wds and we have also installed a brake controller, the truck came with sway control on it.

Believe it or not it doesn't sway a whole lot either.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the sway control that comes with the truck is to stabilize the truck itself. I don't think it dampens trailer sway. That's something that goes with the hitch system...sometimes integrated into the wds, sometimes separate.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The truck has stability control. Sway control goes between the truck and trailer. It can be built into the hitch or a separate piece that adds friction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a whole argument but ours has a built in sway control and if it feels like it's getting too wild it'll kick in and put on the brakes by itself.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a whole argument but ours has a built in sway control and if it feels like it's getting too wild it'll kick in and put on the brakes by itself.

The sway control you are using is electronic, Rollin is speaking of friction units. Your sway control only uses the truck brakes to help eliminate sway by braking wheels independently countering the lateral forces.

Judging from the pic it looks like your Expy is squatting quite a bit. About 60-70% of your stopping/braking is from the front brakes. If you're too light in the front, you're degrading your stopping/braking capability considerably. I'd seriously consider getting a WDS! Keep in mind that a WDS does not automatically include sway control. Sway control is a separate set up. There are a few WDSs that incorporate sway control in their system, such as the Andersen, but most do not. WDS evenly distributes weight. Sway control reduces sway.

60-70% is that a WAG? It is much more complicated with proportioning valves and 4 wheel disc brakes. Most SUVs and trucks actually apply more rear brake bias as the load increases.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire