Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These inflated to maximum sidewall cold pressure? This will take any radial wiggle out of the tires.

(I wasn't aware Michelin made ST tires but I guess they do.)

-- Chuck
Do they? I know they make RV tires...like for motorhomes. and I've seen their LT tires on trailers, but can't find anything about ST tires on their website. Bears further investigation.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I thought Larry (the OP) was running Michelin tires on his travel trailer which should be using ST tires and prompted my question.

I do know that maximum sidewall pressure is recommended since no one is riding in the trailer and sidewall flex causes tire heating and contributes to that wiggly feeling. Same for inflating the truck's P-Metric rear tires to higher pressure. Doesn't increase their capacity but minimizes squirming. At least that's my experience.

-- Chuck

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know several folks who run Michelin LTs on their camping trailers. I’d love them to make an ST…I just can’t find them. However, I have Good Year Endurance STs on my trailer.

timo482

Reaction score
on my 08 im using a "straight line" with a friction sway control.. my camper is short and high.. it can get squerly at 70 plus but up to 65 its dead stable, even in cross wind.

fjet

Reaction score
I had a 2014 limited with the self level struts. I tow a 30 ft Coachman that’s roughly 7500lbs and a truck load of kids in and gear in the truck. Easily at max payload. I installed a Helwig rear sway bar which did give it more stability on corners and on heavily crowned county roads. But the most substantial improvement was Michelin LT tires with 75 psi when towing and 55 when not towing. I adopted this some setup in my 2017 EXPY Max limited as well however I did have to replace the 22” with 19’s from A F150 FX4 to get LT’s but they look fine. Also I had my load distribution hitch setup by the (Professionals) and it was way to much tongue weight for my struts to adjust to. So double check your tongue weight and adjust your hitch so both you and your trailer are as close to level as possible.

OP
OP
L

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
Hi again, guys. Ok I think I have the sway thing squared away. Went with LT tires and Helwig rear anti sway bar with new Helwig FRONT anti sway bushings. (That was their idea - even supplied the bushings)

NOW, I am contemplating a lengthy road trip - likely 7000 miles over the next 18 months. The Expi has 76000 on it. I HAVE done specified service at the dealer all along - flushes, etc included.

What I am after are community thoughts on other preventives or enhancements before I start out. My concerns are basically centered on an unease that I am driving basically a f-150 and towing a 6000 pound airstream for a long distance, and up and down mountains. It will be basically freeway, so no EXTREAM grades, but still …

As a reminder, the rig is a 2017 King Ranch 4 X 2 with the 9000 # HD towing package. I use the Equal-izer 9000 # hitch. Trailer tires have been upsized to 16” Michelin truck tires and I run them at 50 #.

It should be a reasonably relaxed trip - doing 300 - 500 miles a day with additional ‘stay overs’ as we feel inclined.

Thoughts? Equipment I might further invest in? Early replacements? I have put some thought into just doing the shocks as a proactive step, for example.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think your tow vehicle will do the job just fine. Standard things like tire pressure gauge, roadside markers/vest, 12v pump, headlamp, up to date insurance I’m sure you’ve got. I carry extra odds and ends for my trailer, though. Spare set of bearings, toilet valve, fuses, access door latches, torque wrench, various tapes, tool box (no brained)…and other things folks will mention as their fave items.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming all the other fluids are good, fresh brake fluid change would be my first thought. Brake fluid collects moisture over time which greatly reduces its boiling point - meaning if you're braking a lot with a load you could lose your brakes if the fluid boils.

OP
OP
L

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
It WILL be over 5000 on the current brake flush when we leave. Good input! I appreciate it!