Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get Roadside Assistance with a provider that will move your camper if need be. Apart from needing regular fluid and filter changes, there are completely random things that can act up on an Expedition. Throttle body, misfires, recirculating valve gasket. There's not really a way to predict everything that can happen. Also, try to avoid travel on Sunday (shops are closed), make sure you have fix a flat and spare(s) for the camper as well as tire change equipment and some tools for minor repairs. I also recommend a TPMS for the camper tires.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
When we go camping I carry a 2000 (?) pound floor jack wrapped in a towel (so I don't hear the rattle). Invaluable for a blown (not merely flat) tire on the Ohio Turnpike 5 years ago; helped a buddy reconnect his trailer to his truck when the hitch pin went missing on a dark country road; and routine maintenance.
7000 miles in 18 months seems like less than normal driving.

-- Chuck

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When we go camping I carry a 2000 (?) pound floor jack wrapped in a towel (so I don't hear the rattle). Invaluable for a blown (not merely flat) tire on the Ohio Turnpike 5 years ago; helped a buddy reconnect his trailer to his truck when the hitch pin went missing on a dark country road; and routine maintenance.
7000 miles in 18 months seems like less than normal driving.

-- Chuck
I broke my electric jack my first time out. The site wasn't level and it was dark when we arrived...we weren't paying attention and overextended the jack. I now travel with two bottle jacks to assist with leveling and tire changes. Between those and the plastic leveling blocks, I can get the camper up easily for tire changes, jack failures, etc.

wk99

Reaction score
I agree with Fidget247, it's the tires. I have a 2012 EL with the HD tow package and I towed a little over 6k lbs worth of car and trailer from Kansas to Texas back in 2019 on Michelin Defenders and the ride felt very unstable. I had to keep it under 60 MPH. Mind you I didn't know that the Michelins load rating was less than the stock Scorpio that came on I upgraded to 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers G2s which have a load rating higher than the OEM tires and they tow very stable. Towed 7k lbs from TX to Colorado, sometimes 80 mph, and had absolutely no sway. Once these wear out in 4 years or so, I'll upgrade to a load E or F tire just for the piece of mind. I do intend on pulling a travel trailer in the future. Best of luck.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No "stability" issues with the 18" OEM P-metric tires on my Expedition with my Roo. These tires have a combined weight carrying ability of 5512 pounds -- more than enough for my trailer's tongue weight. Combination of sway control in both the Equalizer WDH and Ford's HD towing option. Light truck tires will work but I'd rather my Expedition not ride like a truck all the time.

-- Chuck

Rosspack

Reaction score
Posted this in another area of the page, but it seems appropriate here:

I actually have two questions that I hope others will be able to help me with. Thanks in advance for any help.

#1) My 2015 Expedition has always felt what I would call "loose". There is a lot of play in the steering wheel and it always has felt like it has a little sway. I was wondering if this a probelm in Expeditions or if this is a problem unique to my vehicle. This is particularly concerning when pulling my travel trailer. It is about 8000 lbs loaded and I have the tow package, so I can tow up to 9600 lbs. It is not very stable and has gotten worse, which leads me to question #2.

#2) In orrder to better handle the weight and reduce sway I bought a Pro Pride 3 hitch (sway elimination) and also upgraded to Cooper LT 275/65/R18 ten ply tires. This was at the recommendation of a truck and towing company near me. However, when I took a trip to Jacksonville this weekend the vehicle sway was even worse. It felt like I was pulling the trailer even though I wasn't. There was little wind and I was actually feeling the vehicle move when semis went by like when I am pulling a trailer. The max PSI on these tires if 80, which is what the place that put the tires on inflated them to. Should I only be running at 80 PSI when I am towing? Does anyone know if there is a recommended tire pressure on 10 ply tires when not hauling with increased weight. It was quite concerning and I white knuckled it most of the way there and back.

Any help would be appreciated, especially regarding the Expedition's stability. Thanks!

Last edited:

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Swaying with NO TRAILER? Sumpin’ ain’t right. I hope your tp is not set to 80 psi. My 20” Michelins are set to 35 psi towing or not. I use the Andersen sway system.

Rosspack

Reaction score
I have ten ply tires that most towing sites recommend running on full max pressure. 80 PSI is the max pressure. What are your Michelins? Are they the same type of tire?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The steering isn't loose -- you've pulled too much weight off the front axle. Truck tires, excessive tire pressure, and insufficient weight distribution (transfer to the front axle) are the problems. Unless you scrap the truck tires you can only fix two out of three but it should work.

The Expedition can support the maximum allowed rear axle weight at the tire pressure listed in the door jam which I recall is 36psi your sticker will have the pressure. Truck tires aren't necessary as the P-Metrics are more than capable of handling the allowed weights. I run my P-Metrics at 40psi when towing -- when I remember -- just to take a little squirm out of the load but even at 36 there's no sway/fishtailing 'cuz my WDH puts weight back on the front axle.

An 8,000 pound trailer requires 10% to 15% of that weight on the ball for safe towing -- 800 to 1200 pounds. Even the minimum of 800 pounds will unload the front (steering) axle and unless your WDH puts weight back on it you'll get loose steering. Note the maximum weight on the ball is 920 pounds and that requires a properly adjusted WDH.

Recommend weighing the rig and comparing the weights to the allowable axle ratings. Also note the cargo capacity of your Expedition. Mine is roughly 1450 pounds and if I put the maximum allowabe weight on the ball (in my case 920 pounds) I'd only have 530 pounds for everything else. With my 120 pound former swimsuit model wife on board that's just 410 pounds remaining for everything including me and the dogs. :)

Overinflation severely decreases the tire contact with the road.

Effect-of-inflation-pressure-on-the-tire-contact-patch-geometry.png

-- Chuck

Attachments

• Effect-of-inflation-pressure-on-the-tire-contact-patch-geometry.png
    Effect-of-inflation-pressure-on-the-tire-contact-patch-geometry.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member