Transfer case making a shudder noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuey76

Reaction score
Title says it all, I have verified that it is coming from the Transfer case. It only happens when in 3rd or 4th under load going up hill. Does not do it under hard acceleration. I am thinking of looking around for one out of a 2001 F150. My 2000 Expedition has the A4WD and I hate it so I figured while I was replacing it I might as well do it with one that eliminates the A4WD feature. Any thoughts or has anyone done this. Or even better has anyone ever experienced the shudder noise?

Tucker914

Reaction score
So a 01 will due away with the awd?? I'm interested for more info on this as well cuz I need one as well

chucky2

Reaction score
Wound up at this site Googling for air suspension problems but figured I'd quick register and maybe lend some info.

We had something like this, although ours was from a stop/slow speed and turning, and what it turned out to be was the front shaft speed sensor for the AWD being bad, causing the transfer case to lock up. It took a competent shop to diagnose the issue but once they did it has been problem free ever since.

You might look for a driveline shop in your area, something that isn't fly by night and will have the proper equipment to do a 4 wheel road test in the shop, to see if they can fix this for less than you're planning to get into it for.

Good luck!

Chuck

jtoro

Reaction score
Did you have the nasty grinding / slipping / shuddering speed as just low speeds? Did it go away at higher speeds? Mine goes away once it hits 35 mph or so. I have the AWD and trying to figure out what the noise is.