Transmission Cooler Lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2005 Expedition 4x4. As I pulled into my driveway, I noticed a long trailing drip pattern on the ground. I looked under my truck and there are 2 lines that are SUPER rusted and they are leaking. The one that is leaking the heaviest when the truck is running is connected to the other by a clip before it heads up in the radiator.

There are 2 lines (upper and lower) from what I can tell coming from the side of the radiator. One goes to the bottom of the cooler (I believe) and the other twist and runs back to the middle of the truck to some type of junction box.

Can anyone help me identify these line names/parts so I can purchase OR can I run some type of specialized tubing with compression rings on a job like this?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I presume they are your transmission cooler lines. I replaced them on my 2000. Dorman makes those. The job was a bi*ch. RockAuto lists them for your truck also by Dorman, but they're out of stock.

Or, as Sticker says, they could be your power steering cooler lines. Follow 'em.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
I presume they are your transmission cooler lines. I replaced them on my 2000. Dorman makes those. The job was a bi*ch. RockAuto lists them for your truck also by Dorman, but they're out of stock.

Or, as Sticker says, they could be your power steering cooler lines. Follow 'em.

Yea, it looks like a rough job.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the lines on our F250. Cut the steel lines close to the trans and cooler and ran rubber trans lines. Purchased a coil I think was 20 feet. Can't recall the price.Just have to keep them away from the exhaust and nylon tie to frame. Or just cut out bad part.I used 2 hose clamps per end never leaked.Power steering hose rotted last week replaced same way but I used PEX clamps this time.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As others have said you can cut out the bad with mini tubing cutter and put rubber in.
Don't use fuel line! Should be oil/trans spec line. 5/16 will probably be the size to slide on tightly.
Make sure it is very snug and push it on at least3 inches on each end of metal and use two clamps on each end.

I had to replace on old limo bus a few years and I took the old lines off and got a tubing bender and bend new ones to match and put back on. Not too bad but rubber is much easier.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
When I use rubber hose -- and Toby is so right about not using fuel line -- I put a very small flare, like a lump on the end of the cut tubing, to help the oily hose hold behind the clamp.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
I did the lines on our F250. Cut the steel lines close to the trans and cooler and ran rubber trans lines. Purchased a coil I think was 20 feet. Can't recall the price.Just have to keep them away from the exhaust and nylon tie to frame. Or just cut out bad part.I used 2 hose clamps per end never leaked.Power steering hose rotted last week replaced same way but I used PEX clamps this time.

Thank you!