transmission swap im lost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tossen12

Reaction score
Mt daughter has a 05 Eddie 4x4 . the transmission locked up on a road trip . I had a junk yard transmission swap done to get her home .
Transmission not shifting to 3rd gear , high rpm . no speedometer .

I have checked abs sensors ( live data )
all working. there is no VSS on rear end .
Replaced trans mission output sensor , and gear position sensor .
did a rest on Gauge Cluster .
still not working .
what do I check next ? Or do in need to replace tranny again ?
thank you for all imformation

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!!
Someone with more knowledge than me on trannies will be on this soon. Did the tranny come from a 05 Eddie 4x4 same as yours? Replacement parts on some of these can be real finicky as far as same year, model, etc.
Not like the old days when pull one close enough and replace/ go.

OP
OP
T

tossen12

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome . I'm not sure about the year of the replacement tranny . I was is in a bind . Daughter and grandkids 200 miles from home . Cheap and quick repair . Both are r4w70 . That is all I know about new tranny.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you paid to swap out a bad trans for another bad trans. Good luck when swapping junkyard transmissions. They are in the junk yard due to being wrecked, bad engine or bad trans.

Does it shift into 4th, OD and reverse manually?

OP
OP
T

tossen12

Reaction score
No it will sometimes manually shift to 3rd , but won't stay it shifts back to 2nd .
I'm awear of the danger of junk yard parts . I'm just trying to find out if I may have overlooked something . I'm sure a reman tranny is the cure .

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually when you get a junkyard transmission,the junker pulls the pan and removes the filter. Were you charged for a new filter with the fluid when it was installed? Maybe the wiring in the connector to the trans isn't seated/connected properly either in the connector itself or inside the pan where it connects to the various solenoids. Like stamp asked,can you manually shift through the gears?

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4r70w tranny's are pretty bulletproof. Simple straightforward 4 speed tranny. Sounds like an electrical issue,or as stamp said,bad junkyard trans. No third gear,direct clutch. When it does go into third,does it feel like it's slippoing?

OP
OP
T

tossen12

Reaction score
I had the shop that installed the new tranny , drain , flush and replace the filter .
When the tranny is in 2nd the rpm climbs to about 1800 then shift to third . Rpm drop to 900 then right back to 2nd no time to fell any slippage .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze