TSB 22-2428 - 2018-2023 Expedition/Navigator, Built On/Before Aug 15, 2022 - 10R80 Automatic Trans + Others - Harsh/Delayed Engagement And/Or Shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
***This is a partial description of TSB 22-2428 -- Please see attached PDF file for full information***

Summary

This article supersedes TSB 22-2139, 22-2102, 21-2377 and 21-2434 to update the Issue, Action and Service Procedure.

Issue: Some 2017-2023 F-150, 2018-2023 Expedition/Navigator/Mustang, 2019-2023 Ranger, 2020-2023 Explorer/Aviator/Transit and 2021-2023 Bronco vehicles equipped with a 10R60 transmission and built on or before 23-Dec-2022 or with a 10R80/10R80MHT transmission and built on or before 15-Aug-2022 may exhibit a harsh/delayed engagement and/or harsh/delayed shift. It is possible the vehicle may also have an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) or diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757, P0761, P0762, P0766, P0767, P0771, P0772, P2700, P2701, P2702, P2703, P2704, P2705, P2707, P2708, P0729, P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0736, P076F, P07D9, P07F6 and/or P07F7 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM) or transmission control module (TCM). This may be due to the software in the powertrain control module (PCM) or transmission control module (TCM), the transmission solenoid ID strategy, sticking valves in the main control valve body and/or axial movement of the CDF clutch cylinder (7H351) sleeve. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to identify and correct the condition.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• One of the following vehicles:
- 2017-2023 F-150
- 2018-2023 Expedition/Navigator/Mustang
- 2019-2023 Ranger
- 2020-2023 Explorer/Aviator/Transit
- 2021-2023 Bronco

• One of the following transmissions:
- 10R80 or 10R80 MHT transmission with a vehicle build date on or before 15-Aug-2022
- 10R60 transmission with a vehicle build date on or before 23-Dec-2022

• At least one of the following conditions:
- DTC P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757, P0761, P0762, P0766, P0767, P0771, P0772, P2700, P2701, P2702, P2703, P2704, P2705, P2707, P2708, P0729, P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0736, P076F, P07D9, P07F6 and/or P07F7
- Harsh engagement
- Delayed engagement
- Harsh shift
- Delayed shift

Attachments

• TSB 22-2428 - 10R60-10R80-10R80 MHT Automatic Transmission - Harsh-Delayed Engagement And-Or H...pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 146

MikeS3000

Reaction score
So is this being offered at no charge? My 2018 transmission is definitely shot and we have service scheduled in late June to take a look at it.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So is this being offered at no charge? My 2018 transmission is definitely shot and we have service scheduled in late June to take a look at it.
Not covered if you are out of warranty!

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), which provides guidance to Service personnel, including organized parts lists and Labor Times to correct a recognized issue.

If warranty coverage exists on the vehicle, there is a possibility of a no-cost or reduced cost repair, per this description from the TSB...

"Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Emissions Warranty/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/Emissions Warranty/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool."

Additionally, the vehicle's Powertrain Warranty may cover repairs within the following guidelines...

"Extended warranty coverage periods are available for certain vehicle parts and conditions. Specifically, (1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump; Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear),center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints."

As Soliyou indicates, if no warranty within the above guidelines, then you will be paying the bill.

Good luck!

MikeS3000

Reaction score
So I need some advice. I'm thinking of trading in my Expedition and maybe going with a Jeep Wagoneer. I brought the 2018 Expy to the dealership last week as not only was my transmission exhibiting major symptoms, but I got a brake fluid low warning and noticed brake fluid in my garage near the left rear. They replaced all the brake lines yesterday and finally diagnosed the transmission. I'm being quoted $5700 for a rebuild (CDF Drum replacement and seal kit) or replacement of transmission for $9,000. I just spend over $5000 3 months ago replacing a "bad" transmission cooler pump, rear shocks and front brakes. The truck has 83k miles on it and is worth around $25k to $30k. Is it worth it to keep repairing this vehicle or cut my losses and trade in? I would also consider a '23 Expy if someone could reassure me that the major issues have been fixed (cam phasers and transmission longevity).

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I need some advice. I'm thinking of trading in my Expedition and maybe going with a Jeep Wagoneer. I brought the 2018 Expy to the dealership last week as not only was my transmission exhibiting major symptoms, but I got a brake fluid low warning and noticed brake fluid in my garage near the left rear. They replaced all the brake lines yesterday and finally diagnosed the transmission. I'm being quoted $5700 for a rebuild (CDF Drum replacement and seal kit) or replacement of transmission for $9,000. I just spend over $5000 3 months ago replacing a "bad" transmission cooler pump, rear shocks and front brakes. The truck has 83k miles on it and is worth around $25k to $30k. Is it worth it to keep repairing this vehicle or cut my losses and trade in? I would also consider a '23 Expy if someone could reassure me that the major issues have been fixed (cam phasers and transmission longevity).
Your extended service plan doesnt cover the tranny repair/replacement???

MikeS3000

Reaction score
What extended service plan? I never purchased one in my life, but my view may change for my next purchase.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What extended service plan? I never purchased one in my life, but my view may change for my next purchase.
There was a guy recently on the F-150 forum whose motor recently grenaded and Ford said it was not covered. The fuel system is not covered under extended warranty, and an injector started leaking right outside the factory warranty and blew the engine up at like 65k. (The injector leaked tons of fuel and washed out the cylinder bore resulting in no compression). Ford stated because the engine failure was caused by the fuel system they aren’t responsible for the engine replacement despite him purchasing extended warranty. He’s out $11,000. The extended warranties are nothing but scams.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was a guy recently on the F-150 forum whose motor recently grenaded and Ford said it was not covered. The fuel system is not covered under extended warranty, and an injector started leaking right outside the factory warranty and blew the engine up at like 65k. (The injector leaked tons of fuel and washed out the cylinder bore resulting in no compression). Ford stated because the engine failure was caused by the fuel system they aren’t responsible for the engine replacement despite him purchasing extended warranty. He’s out $11,000. The extended warranties are nothing but scams.

Ford does not sell an extended warranty. They sell various levels of extended service plans.

The Ford Premium Extended Service Plan I bought from Ford has covered the following repairs (parts and labor) at a Ford dealer:

Engine water pump.
Degas bottle (coolant reservoir)
Transmission.
Steering rack.
One engine coil.
One LF door check-strap.
Engine vacuum pump and fitting.
LH turbo cooling line and fittings.
LH exhaust manifold bolts.
120 days of a car rental or loaner (two repairs: transmission & steering rack).

I do not know the specifics of the issue you cited from another forum, but I do know the specifics of my vehicle and plan. The Ford extended service plan is not a scam.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford does not sell an extended warranty. They sell various levels of extended service plans.

The Ford Premium Extended Service Plan I bought from Ford has covered the following repairs (parts and labor) at a Ford dealer:

Engine water pump.
Degas bottle (coolant reservoir)
Transmission.
Steering rack.
One engine coil.
One LF door check-strap.
Engine vacuum pump and fitting.
LH turbo cooling line and fittings.
LH exhaust manifold bolts.
120 days of a car rental or loaner (two repairs: transmission & steering rack).

I do not know the specifics of the issue you cited from another forum, but I do know the specifics of my vehicle and plan. The Ford extended service plan is not a scam.
Ford certainly tried selling me an extended warranty on my 2023 F-150. I’m sure his dealer was more the issue than Ford corporate, since warranty items are payed out differently. Last I knew he was trying a different dealer. It’s all anecdotal BS that I’m typing but there are a lot of exemptions that don’t make much sense on the extended warranty, that’s my feeling on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett