TSB 23-2250 - 2018-2023 Expedition/Navigator + Other Models - 10R80 Auto Trans + Others - Harsh/Delayed Engagement And/Or Harsh/Delayed Shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a couple of neutral out situations, first two were when the engine/transmission were cold. Last one happened fully warmed up on the highway, went to make a pass, changed lanes and pressed on the gas, engine revved, no power and a wrench icon on the screen. Now rapidly slowing down I had to make my way back over in traffic to the shoulder. Soon as I got over it came back to life and wrench went away.

Service Advisor did the remote connection for code history and showed me a ton of "Stuck in park" messages. Got it back yesterday after being at the dealership for a month and a half. Took 3 weeks just for them to clear the backlog of vehicles in front of me for them to look at it, then roughly 3 more weeks for the repair.

Description of service and parts: Burnt C/D/F drum damaged. Replaced C/D/F drum, clutches/steels, overhauled complete transmission and reassembled. Flushed transmission cooler, lines and torque converter.

Thank goodness for warranties, no money out of pocket for four pages of parts. C/D/F Drum is the newer "B" model.

2019 model with 45K miles and a full rebuild, definitely not good.

Platinum Ford in Terrell Texas has taken good care of me for this and my Cam Phasers.

Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think its stupid that Ford makes you leave your vehicle for months before they can even look at it so that you stay "in line". If the vehicle is driveable they should just put your info in their system and when they are ready for your vehicle they tell you to drop it off asap. Id rather my vehicle be home than some dealership lot prone to dents and break ins etc especially if I can still drive it.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think its stupid that Ford makes you leave your vehicle for months before they can even look at it so that you stay "in line". If the vehicle is driveable they should just put your info in their system and when they are ready for your vehicle they tell you to drop it off asap. Id rather my vehicle be home than some dealership lot prone to dents and break ins etc especially if I can still drive it.

It is a process which keeps the warranty (or ESP) time running, closer to expiration - without any extension for the owner while the vehicle is out-of-service).

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as I can get a decent loaner, I'm not that concerned. They didn't have any loaners initially, but my SA snagged me one as soon as possible. I was happy to rack up miles on their truck instead of mine for the time being. It did suck that it was an XLT and I missed the features of my limited. Also, I did get used to that big screen on the new model, and going back to the 2019 screen was a smidge difficult, but I'll deal with it. :D

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just finished reading 23-2250 front to back for the first time. OMG. And you all know why I read it. My '20 expedition is one long haul away from crossing the 50K mark and it slams and bangs occasionally. Worse yet, I have a '22 F150 hybrid that is covered by the TSB as well. This transmission TSB has me so paranoid that I find myself analyzing every single shift in the '22...just waiting for something other than the perfect shifts that it has so far delivered.

I'm a veteran of too many Ford quality campaigns for 23 years prior to my grateful departure from the company in 2007. This one scares me, a lot. My contemporaries and I would have never considered charging dealer service departments with performing such a series of complex and invasive Transmission repairs... on potentially millions of vehicles. It would seem that swap outs with new transmissions and recycling the old ones through the rebuild system to be sold as out of warranty replacements, would have been the preferred alternative. Step 2 would have been persecuting everyone involved on the 10 speed development team to ensure that the disease didn't spread through the organization and produce more such issues.

The chances that this complex TSB can be consistently implemented by the nationwide dealer service organizations isn't just remote, it's non existent. Successful implementations will be the exception. I've visited about 0 dealership service departments that had so much as one technician capable of performing this service without causing more collateral damage than they were fixing.

So, what to do? In all honesty it comes down to: A) Bite the bullet and buy a '24 now. B) Wait until the transmission moves from being uncomfortable to non-functioning and buy a new transmission and install it myself.

As a wild card, has anyone had this service performed satisfactorily within 100 miles of Charlotte, NC? If so, what dealership, what technician?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just finished reading 23-2250 front to back for the first time. OMG. And you all know why I read it. My '20 expedition is one long haul away from crossing the 50K mark and it slams and bangs occasionally. Worse yet, I have a '22 F150 hybrid that is covered by the TSB as well. This transmission TSB has me so paranoid that I find myself analyzing every single shift in the '22...just waiting for something other than the perfect shifts that it has so far delivered.

I'm a veteran of too many Ford quality campaigns for 23 years prior to my grateful departure from the company in 2007. This one scares me, a lot. My contemporaries and I would have never considered charging dealer service departments with performing such a series of complex and invasive Transmission repairs... on potentially millions of vehicles. It would seem that swap outs with new transmissions and recycling the old ones through the rebuild system to be sold as out of warranty replacements, would have been the preferred alternative. Step 2 would have been persecuting everyone involved on the 10 speed development team to ensure that the disease didn't spread through the organization and produce more such issues.

The chances that this complex TSB can be consistently implemented by the nationwide dealer service organizations isn't just remote, it's non existent. Successful implementations will be the exception. I've visited about 0 dealership service departments that had so much as one technician capable of performing this service without causing more collateral damage than they were fixing.

So, what to do? In all honesty it comes down to: A) Bite the bullet and buy a '24 now. B) Wait until the transmission moves from being uncomfortable to non-functioning and buy a new transmission and install it myself.

As a wild card, has anyone had this service performed satisfactorily within 100 miles of Charlotte, NC? If so, what dealership, what technician?

My person experience related to your option A:

I've felt delayed downshift from gear 5 to 3 and 4 to 3 frequently, starting from the very first month after my purchasing a 2024 model year Expedition. It is not very serious, though. It's annoying, but according to my Youtube research, this wouldn't harm the transmission anyway. So I don't even bring vehicle to dealership for inspection yet.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I experienced my first real "klunk" braking to a stop (firmly, not hard, not soft). It was a VERY obvious screwed up downshift. Hard "klunk". It's going in for an oil change in 150 miles. So I'll bring it up then. Oh well. Welcome me to your ranks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65