Unknown leaking in 2021 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jchamp

Reaction score
I have a 2021 expedition. Two days ago drove it everything seemed fine. Yesterday morning open a back door and it smells musty. Go to put my front passenger seat forwards and we notice water pouring from the back of the seat on both sides where the seat goes up and back. It was ice cold water too. A couple hours later I noticed the front seat is wet. Dealership can't find anything wrong and has no idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20210830_131156_01.jpg
    IMG_20210830_131156_01.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210830_075755_01.jpg
    IMG_20210830_075755_01.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 33

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2021 expedition. Two days ago drove it everything seemed fine. Yesterday morning open a back door and it smells musty. Go to put my front passenger seat forwards and we notice water pouring from the back of the seat on both sides where the seat goes up and back. It was ice cold water too. A couple hours later I noticed the front seat is wet. Dealership can't find anything wrong and has no idea.
Check the sunroof. By front seat being we I figure you were talking about the seat, has to come from above. For the heck of it take a look around the bolts that anchor the seat. Check for rust around them. Did you buy it used or new from a dealer.

OP
OP
J

Jchamp

Reaction score
They checked the sunroof today and no leaks at all. It was pouring rain too so it would have shown. No rust. Bought it new a few months back.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cooled seats? Perhaps condensation not running off/evaporating as designed? Seems like a good amount of liquid to be that though. Just a random guess if it's 100% not the sunroof and no obvious leaks anywhere else up high. I'm not too familiar with the 4th gen.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They checked the sunroof today and no leaks at all. It was pouring rain too so it would have shown. No rust. Bought it new a few months back.
Could somebody not closed it tightly? Thats a heck of a lot of water Is the shade damp? Stick some paper towels around the sunroof, see if they get wet.

OP
OP
J

Jchamp

Reaction score
I'm the only one who uses it. I open and close the door for the kids too. All windows are shut most the time. And I park in the garage. But it's not any windows or sunroof. The dealership checked it all.

black_limited

Reaction score
Cooled seats? Perhaps condensation not running off/evaporating as designed? Seems like a good amount of liquid to be that though. Just a random guess if it's 100% not the sunroof and no obvious leaks anywhere else up high. I'm not too familiar with the 4th gen.
This right here.

black_limited

Reaction score
The cooled seats to my experience use a fan only.
Well it doesn’t make sense why you have ice cold water there if they are fan only. And it’s only on the bottom part of the seat where the back and bottom cushions meet which is also weird. So obviously that water is coming from somewhere around the seat and the only possibly location would have to don with the cooled/heated function. I wonder if you had condensation built up and when you turn them on it pushes water out first?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze