Unknown leaking in 2021 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it doesn’t make sense why you have ice cold water there if they are fan only. And it’s only on the bottom part of the seat where the back and bottom cushions meet which is also weird. So obviously that water is coming from somewhere around the seat and the only possibly location would have to don with the cooled/heated function. I wonder if you had condensation built up and when you turn them on it pushes water out first?
I have had cooled seats in 10 different vehicles and have not that experience. What is confusing is the amount and having it on the cushion on the passenger seat. The temperature is strange as well.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it doesn’t make sense why you have ice cold water there if they are fan only. And it’s only on the bottom part of the seat where the back and bottom cushions meet which is also weird. So obviously that water is coming from somewhere around the seat and the only possibly location would have to don with the cooled/heated function. I wonder if you had condensation built up and when you turn them on it pushes water out first?
100% the cooled seats use a fan device (Thermo-Electric Device) only. The same device is used for both heating and cooling of the seats. I suppose a defective TED, given the right circumstances, could produce condensation.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2021 expedition. Two days ago drove it everything seemed fine. Yesterday morning open a back door and it smells musty. Go to put my front passenger seat forwards and we notice water pouring from the back of the seat on both sides where the seat goes up and back. It was ice cold water too. A couple hours later I noticed the front seat is wet. Dealership can't find anything wrong and has no idea.
Is the fan device under the seat somehow staying on after the vehicle is off? I can see if the TED under the seat was running for like 24 hours straight it could ice up and produce condensation.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fan is in the seat back. It is only blowing ambient temp. air. I'd be questioning the kids.lol

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm the only one who uses it. I open and close the door for the kids too. All windows are shut most the time. And I park in the garage. But it's not any windows or sunroof. The dealership checked it all.
most dealers are incompetent fyi....... I'll bet its the roof.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4th gens don’t have cooling TED’s, that’s only the 3rd gens. The 4th gen relies solely on fan for ventilation. So cross that one off the list.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4th gens don’t have cooling TED’s, that’s only the 3rd gens. The 4th gen relies solely on fan for ventilation. So cross that one off the list.
Doh!! It sounded good.. That's lame btw. I was wondering why these seats didn't get as cold as my 2014 Flex and 2010 F150.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2nd Gen has a TED as well, it works great I my '03. I can't imagine buying an 80k version of my truck with just a fan... You effectively have no cooling until the vehicles ambient temp drops significantly. In peak summer heat that could be awhile. I'll add that to the ever growing list of reasons I'm not a large fan of the 4th Gen. It has its fair share of good things but that other side of the list is getting longer and longer.