Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am on 20196. I noticed an improvement in general from 20021 to 20136. 20196 just fixed some icon glitches in SXM from what I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Highlightreel

Reaction score
Gumby, I tend to agree. I only notice the radio icon updates (which are nice) but other than that, nothing of note but it does seem to be just a bit off. Not totally crisp.

Also, switching from normal sync to android auto has got caught up for awhile and has delayed almost seems to have froze. I rebooted and shut off car so we'll see if that's gone next time.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gumby, I tend to agree. I only notice the radio icon updates (which are nice) but other than that, nothing of note but it does seem to be just a bit off. Not totally crisp.

Also, switching from normal sync to android auto has got caught up for awhile and has delayed almost seems to have froze. I rebooted and shut off car so we'll see if that's gone next time.
I let my SXM subscription lapse so I don't really see any icon differences. FM Radio stations here don't seem to have icons and there are no stations in HD radio. I was running 20022 before so the FM radio interface is different and I like it. I also like the BT interface over the Carplay interface for music. *shrug*

mpc11

Reaction score
Hey DWs-TTEB, any chance you can check your region settings using forscan? I believe it's ACM-727-04-01, but I also see docs saying its FCIM-7A7-01-01.

Regardless, I tried this today, would be curious what others are seeing, as I'd love to find a solution to this. After these two attempts, I still get the "For your safety, some features have been disabled while your vehicle is in motion." message when trying to browse folders on a usb drive, by clicking on the new search button in the top right of the screen. Clicking that prior to 3.4 used to allow me to select folders, artists, albums, etc.

This afternoon I tried two different things to see if I could get the "browse USB media" functions back, so far to no avail. First, I reformatted my USB to exFAT. Second I upgrade to 3.4.20136. Still no work-e-y.
Ever find a fix for this? Updating from the latest stock 3.0 version to the newest 3.4 went smoothly, except I have this new, same issue with not being able to browse folders on my usb drive while driving when I could on 3.0. Getting the same for your safety message.

I also have a new seek issue when using usb. The steering wheel controls and the touch screen button works like it should: pressing seek once goes to the next song. Pressing the physical seek button on the dash/console, it jumps 2 songs at a time. Goes to next song for less than a second then goes to the following song and starts playing. Anyone else?

I've tried rebooting using power button & next button multiple times...

mpc11

Reaction score
Ever find a fix for this? Updating from the latest stock 3.0 version to the newest 3.4 went smoothly, except I have this new, same issue with not being able to browse folders on my usb drive while driving when I could on 3.0. Getting the same for your safety message.

I also have a new seek issue when using usb. The steering wheel controls and the touch screen button works like it should: pressing seek once goes to the next song. Pressing the physical seek button on the dash/console, it jumps 2 songs at a time. Goes to next song for less than a second then goes to the following song and starts playing. Anyone else?

I've tried rebooting using power button & next button multiple times...

Tried a few more things. Popped a cd in and seek acts the same. Steering wheel and touch screen seek forward go one track/song at a time but the dash button advances 2 songs on a single press. All three back seek buttons only go 1 track/song back at a time.

Listening to sirius, next button only goes 1 station at a time with the dash button.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tried a few more things. Popped a cd in and seek acts the same. Steering wheel and touch screen seek forward go one track/song at a time but the dash button advances 2 songs on a single press. All three back seek buttons only go 1 track/song back at a time.

Listening to sirius, next button only goes 1 station at a time with the dash button.

You have a physical button problem with the dash button.

Spray around the button with compressed air. If you have contact cleaner(non-lubricated), spray that. If not use Windex and make sure car is off, and no power. Spray around it. Move, wiggle, press the button many times. Wipe, then blow it out again. Test it.

mpc11

Reaction score
You have a physical button problem with the dash button.

Spray around the button with compressed air. If you have contact cleaner(non-lubricated), spray that. If not use Windex and make sure car is off, and no power. Spray around it. Move, wiggle, press the button many times. Wipe, then blow it out again. Test it.

Thanks. Never had that issue on 3.0 and I'm pretty meticulous about keeping my cars clean, but tried compressed air and contact cleaner (was leery of Windex) with lots of moving and pressing. No luck.

Searched around then ended up posting on cyan labs community forum. Cyan labs replied pretty quickly saying known issue on certain vehicles. Didn't mention anything further though.

Maybe next update they will figure it out. Thanks for your reply.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. Never had that issue on 3.0 and I'm pretty meticulous about keeping my cars clean, but tried compressed air and contact cleaner (was leery of Windex) with lots of moving and pressing. No luck.

Searched around then ended up posting on cyan labs community forum. Cyan labs replied pretty quickly saying known issue on certain vehicles. Didn't mention anything further though.

Maybe next update they will figure it out. Thanks for your reply.

Interesting! Not having that issue on either of my 2020’s on 20196.

Good to know it is known...I honestly never use the one on the dash other than to force a reboot. Had to test it last night on mine, just to see.

mpc11

Reaction score
Interesting! Not having that issue on either of my 2020’s on 20196.

Good to know it is known...I honestly never use the one on the dash other than to force a reboot. Had to test it last night on mine, just to see.

Thanks for checking! I updated 2-3 weeks ago, but just noticed it for the first time yesterday as I rarely use that button too. But I don't like things not working now that I know about it! lol.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't even get me started on the Android Auto issues right now with this version (20196) and current AA on Android 11. Now, if I shut off the car with the phone plugged in, using an AA app (i.e. Pandora or DI.FM), and subsequently get back in and start the car, the screen is blank. Completely blank, nothing works after the ford logo, until I unplug the phone. What crap. So I either have to keep the car on accessory power when I leave and get back in, or I have to unplug the phone when I get out, and plug it in after the head unit has booted successfully. Even if I plug it in real fast before the stereo boots up completely, it often has the same issue.

Also, many AA apps now require that I press play or launch them twice before they start working. What a mess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker