Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
Upgrading from 19274 to 20196 tonight. Only issue I've had so far with 19274 is the Bluetooth disconnecting randomly... Not sure if upgrading will fix that or not... worth a shot.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted quite some time ago and never did end up updating. Had a Fusion as a rental this week and liked 3.4 so figured I’d take the plunge. I noticed there are new update tools now and instructions but none of them appear to apply to my situation. I have 3.0 19205 and the instructions reference 3.2 and above. I have 2017 version of the maps so I’d like to update to the latest version as well. There are 4 install options as well in the tool from cyan labs and they only reference 3 of them. Any suggestions to help fill in the gaps a little would be helpful! I reread ever post here the other night but didn’t seem to notice an answer to these questions.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted quite some time ago and never did end up updating. Had a Fusion as a rental this week and liked 3.4 so figured I’d take the plunge. I noticed there are new update tools now and instructions but none of them appear to apply to my situation. I have 3.0 19205 and the instructions reference 3.2 and above. I have 2017 version of the maps so I’d like to update to the latest version as well. There are 4 install options as well in the tool from cyan labs and they only reference 3 of them. Any suggestions to help fill in the gaps a little would be helpful! I reread ever post here the other night but didn’t seem to notice an answer to these questions.
If I remember correctly you likely have to do the REFORMAT MODE since it's a major update. This would include the newest maps. I'll let LOKI answer this as he is quite knowledgeable on this subject.

I just updated from 20021 to 20196. I like the new radio interface and don't really see too many other differences (at least that I can tell). I do however note that the transition between NAV / RADIO / SETTINGS screens etc seemed to be a bit slower, not as crisp. Maybe it's my system....

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I remember correctly you likely have to do the REFORMAT MODE since it's a major update. This would include the newest maps. I'll let LOKI answer this as he is quite knowledgeable on this subject.

I just updated from 20021 to 20196. I like the new radio interface and don't really see too many other differences (at least that I can tell). I do however note that the transition between NAV / RADIO / SETTINGS screens etc seemed to be a bit slower, not as crisp. Maybe it's my system....

Thanks for the feedback, I just let the updater utility do its thing. I'll hold off for a bit but I didn't get any errors or issues during the build process.

One other thing that I just thought of...ambient lighting and color selection. Will the 3.4 update eliminate this or is this capability derived from APIM and other hardware? I seem to recall discussions that ambient lighting and color changing ability was eliminated in 2020?

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I just let the updater utility do its thing. I'll hold off for a bit but I didn't get any errors or issues during the build process.

One other thing that I just thought of...ambient lighting and color selection. Will the 3.4 update eliminate this or is this capability derived from APIM and other hardware? I seem to recall discussions that ambient lighting and color changing ability was eliminated in 2020?
I'm not sure about the 2020 as I have a 2018. Any of the updates I did (including from 3.0 to 3.4) did not impact the ambient lighting controls on my Expy.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gumby is spot on! If your Expy has Ambient lighting the update will have zero change to that. In 2020 the Limited's still have ambient, just no color options.

You want to do the whole thing. The CyanLabs tool will tell you exactly what you need. Follow it, and you should be good to go. If you get an error, post it here, and we should be able to help.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gumby is spot on! If your Expy has Ambient lighting the update will have zero change to that. In 2020 the Limited's still have ambient, just no color options.

You want to do the whole thing. The CyanLabs tool will tell you exactly what you need. Follow it, and you should be good to go. If you get an error, post it here, and we should be able to help.

Thanks, just got done doing the update. Piece of cake. With maps and everything it was done in 28 minutes.

I rebooted twice, did a master reset, and rebooted twice again for good measure. The only snafu now is in the FordPass app I got a little too quick and sent a request to pair my phone back to the car and rebooted while the permission screen was up on the head unit..doing too many things at once. Now the app is just saying "activation pending". Any idea best way to handle this?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, just got done doing the update. Piece of cake. With maps and everything it was done in 28 minutes.

I rebooted twice, did a master reset, and rebooted twice again for good measure. The only snafu now is in the FordPass app I got a little too quick and sent a request to pair my phone back to the car and rebooted while the permission screen was up on the head unit..doing too many things at once. Now the app is just saying "activation pending". Any idea best way to handle this?

You should be able to bring it up in the settings on the car. Not in front of my Expedition right now. Look in the Connect settings.

Reboot both before and after I highly recommend. The master reset is not needed unless you have issues...FYI for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to bring it up in the settings on the car. Not in front of my Expedition right now. Look in the Connect settings.

Reboot both before and after I highly recommend. The master reset is not needed unless you have issues...FYI for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, found the FordPass app on the car but it didn't show anything. I removed my vehicle from FordPass, added it again, sent a new request and....nothing. Started the car and the request came back in...so, all good it appears.