Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Jones

Reaction score
This worked for me as well! Updated our 2016 to 3.3 from the Ford owners site and that caused all kinds of issues. Did the Cyanlabs update and now everything works great. Thanks for the info!!!

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious with the auto updater now, but will I still need to downgrade to go from 20021 to anything higher? I have the NA-19 maps. I have previously downgraded then reupped to 20021. When I configure the auto updater it says I do have to downgrade then reup to the latest. Can anyone confirm?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious with the auto updater now, but will I still need to downgrade to go from 20021 to anything higher? I have the NA-19 maps. I have previously downgraded then reupped to 20021. When I configure the auto updater it says I do have to downgrade then reup to the latest. Can anyone confirm?

If you are going to keep the same Map version, go into the forums on the CyanLabs site and they will post a thread about updating to the version you want with a link to the downloads needed to do the version upgrade without maps. It does not require the format. Anytime you are involving Maps, the format has to be done, which means you first need the downgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They do have a manual mode on the downloader which I just figured out. You can download just the version you want without the maps. Now to see if I have steel balls to try this way or not...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They do have a manual mode on the downloader which I just figured out. You can download just the version you want without the maps. Now to see if I have steel balls to try this way or not...

I have done it several times. Go for it!

Nice, they must have added that in one of the recent versions. I typically don’t use it and build my own disks using direct downloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see there is a 3.4 20136. If I am on 19274, will I see any benefits from updating? I’m not really having any issues other than CarPlay not working without unlocking phone first, but I don’t know if that is a SYNC issue or the fact that I run beta versions on my iPhone.

Thoughts from those who have used both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I just updated to the latest and greatest 3.4.20196 on my 19' Expy. So far the menus and options are smooth and I've encountered no issues. The one thing I have noticed is that there is even less hesitation than there was with 3.4.20136, which did a good job fixing hesitation as well. As long as you do not need the maps the newest app from CyanLabs uses the autoinstall feature and it completes in about 15 minutes. Further, even though it said it will be live on the next poweroff/on cycle, this time it did a complete reboot of the APIM and was live going down the road. All-in-all, this was worth it in my opinion.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just updated to the latest and greatest 3.4.20196 on my 19' Expy. So far the menus and options are smooth and I've encountered no issues. The one thing I have noticed is that there is even less hesitation than there was with 3.4.20136, which did a good job fixing hesitation as well. As long as you do not need the maps the newest app from CyanLabs uses the autoinstall feature and it completes in about 15 minutes. Further, even though it said it will be live on the next poweroff/on cycle, this time it did a complete reboot of the APIM and was live going down the road. All-in-all, this was worth it in my opinion.

Like I have said many times before. The turn the car off and back on does not in all cases reboot Sync. The only guaranteed way is hold power and Next Track until it reboots.

My experience with 20136 and 20196 is the same. You can tell Ford is really putting time in to making it as responsive as possible.