Used 87 instead of 93...check engine light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RealmGirl1

Reaction score
Just found this thread and I also went from 87 to 93 to see how performance would change. I gradually added two or three tanks of the next octane over the last few weeks. Now I also have a check engine. Here's what Ford Pass is saying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-12-10-48-18-79_f85a9dcae275ee1e0920d804e6924647.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-12-10-48-18-79_f85a9dcae275ee1e0920d804e6924647.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 6

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a driver of a gasoline tankersometimes you would by accident cross drop product, so long as gallons in tanks came out as amount billed all was good.Some dealers would ask you to cross drop and slip you some green. some would also pump regular into premim tanks at night. also some woild change fill markings on tanks. So driver would not get blamed, one station in ny the tanks were marked different every time you went there !!!! I would nerver buy premium unless it was only thing available. delivered for over 25 years I have seen it ALL !!!!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just found this thread and I also went from 87 to 93 to see how performance would change. I gradually added two or three tanks of the next octane over the last few weeks. Now I also have a check engine. Here's what Ford Pass is saying.

Get an ELM327 and pull the code, or have an auto parts store do it

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a driver of a gasoline tankersometimes you would by accident cross drop product, so long as gallons in tanks came out as amount billed all was good.Some dealers would ask you to cross drop and slip you some green. some would also pump regular into premim tanks at night. also some woild change fill markings on tanks. So driver would not get blamed, one station in ny the tanks were marked different every time you went there !!!! I would nerver buy premium unless it was only thing available. delivered for over 25 years I have seen it ALL !!!!
Damn... I had a feeling this was the case..

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used 87 octane all but a couple times when gas was very cheap, I had $1.00 off in grocery store fuel rewards, and I wanted to try it out. I did not notice any remarkable change in performance. But then again, driving in traffic doesn't allow much opportunity to really get on it. My only fuel-related problem was a check-engine light in February for a P0133 (O2 sensor). It cleared after a couple of days and there have been no additional alerts. Showed up in Ford Pass for a while but eventually that cleared too. Possibly fuel related but not a permanent issue.1702432261079.png

Attachments

• 1702432261126.png
    1702432261126.png
    473.7 KB · Views: 1

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get an ELM327 and pull the code, or have an auto parts store do it
Please stay away from the ELM327 Clones. They are not what we should be recommending anymore. Seen way too many failures of the ones being sold now. FORSCAN is No longer recommending them, and is actually recommending against them. But yes, get a real scanner, and pull all codes.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I use Sheetz, Shell, and Kroger exclusively, and in 100's of hours of logging since I started working with tuners on the EcoBoost in late 2015 I have fairly seen a learned Octane below the pump number. That was like 92(when 93 was pumped), and could have been because the wife accidently put a few gallons of regular in my Edge.

Use respectable gas stations with standards, and you don't have this issue. Use the cheapest on the block, maybe?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
O2 Sensor. Like @Going_Going_Gone said, clear with a code scanner and see if it returns.

We also need WAY more info. Year of your Expedition, and Miles is a good start. It might just be that the Sensor needs to be replaced.

Also, an Italian tuneup(A few full throttle Acceleration Runs) might be in order.

-Ray

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, I don't know who you worked for or what stations you delivered to, but if we cross dropped (even regular vs super, let alone crossed gas and diesel) we were IMMEDIATELY fired! No messing around. Plus our pumps and/or store would be shut down. Huge liability.

The other issue is the state randomly would test all tanks to see what was in them, plus octane, plus to be sure you got a gallon. Again, huge liability.

Lastly, I've run regular in my expy for years, along with mid grade and premium on and off. NEVER a code. I'd think something else is wrong here, not octane. The computer will adjust for octane. I've even run 85/86 because that was all that was available on a trip once at a station. No codes. If you got diesel instead of gas, odds are it would shut down or blow up depending how much diesel was mixed in.