Used 87 instead of 93...check engine light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let's correct a few incorrect assumptions in some of these answers.

Rated power is set based on a industry standard fuel that is equivalent to ~92 Octane, not 91. Notice I said fuel, because it is not gasoline. It is used by most manufacturers now so there is a standard. It is used for MPG, and Power ratings stated by the manufacturer.

Will the EcoBoost make more power with Stock tuning on 93 vs 91, YES! One more time for those in the back. On Stock tuning the EcoBoost motors in the 15+ Expeditions will make more power on 93 vs 91. You could even argue that they will make more power on 95 Octane vs 93, but the returns start to diminish quickly because the stock mapping just doesn't give enough, because the tuning is based on Torque demanded. That more power is going to be even more noticeable under heavy load or high temps, because of the additional Octane it will pull LESS timing as the intake charge temp increases, because there will be less knock.

Normal timing adjustments due to knock being sensed due to Octane changes from 93 to 87, WILL NOT cause a check engine light. The motor simply detunes/pulls timing, and demands less power. Also to be clear, the motor does not tune up to 93, it detunes to 87. It is important to understand that difference. It wants the higher, and settles for the lower, not the other way around.

If you got a Cat Error, with no other errors, it might actually be the CAT's. If you got it with a misfire or other similar code, maybe just a bad tank of gas? Like others said, a real scantool could shed light on that based on stored codes.

Excellent explanation
Also less timing can cause the fuel to not completely burn and cats do not like this.

Ford recommends a min of 91 even though they say it will run on 87. How accurate is the octane ratings at these gas stations?
Also higher outside temps and towing you will notice a big difference in octane rating and performance.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's interesting. My octane adjustment shows -1 even when I blended the 93 with 87 octane. So is there some other measurement for octane rating that I'm not watching? My recollection is that some value from one of the torque demand lookup tables is multiplied by the octane adjustment to hit max boost and timing, and that the "-1" is as good as it gets.

*edit* here's the article I was referring to about the optimal value for the octane adjustment.

See comment in linked thread below from Livernois regarding 91. Is it not correct?

Last edited:

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would only buy prem. if it was the only thing available. delivered gas for 20 years, palm was greased many times, cross dropped by accident!!! Dealers are known to pump product over at night.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Not trying to be funny, but peak under your truck to make sure the cat is still there. Living in NY, they are stealing them like crazy right now.
Very good point. I had actually thought of that first, and checked to make sure they are there.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
On another note, I appears these messages in the ford app are indeed specific based on this thread I found.

Tmg115

Reaction score
I have ran nothing but 87 and not a single problem with my 2020. She runs good and gets great millage. Switching octane should not cause a check engine light.

I would switch between 87 and E85 on my LS motor Tahoe and that never set a code. The computer learns what octain you are running and adjusts accordingly.

I wish Ford made these Ecoboosts E85 compatible. These would run great on E85 and make tuning that much better.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 87 and never had an issue. Plenty of power. I cannot justify the additional cost of 93 octane.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use 89 when the gas wasn't expensive and I use 87 now. Notice I lost about 2 mpg but it's offset the price.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I started running 93 in all my cars I notice they naturally ran better but the maintenance went way down.
My 2010 Ford E350 Van has always ran 93 and no issues at 200k for sensors, cats, etc. Been a bullet proof vehicle.