VCT Selenoids or timing issue ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simsy

Reaction score
Have an 09 expedition el xlt. Once warmed up and only at low idle sitting at a stop light the engine has a loud clanking noise. Once I step on the gas and over 12-1500 rpm the sound goes away . AGAIN , this is only when fully warmed up and not constantly an issue . When it does make the noise it’s very loud .

rowekmr

Reaction score
I subscribed to this thread because I have the same issues...intermittent rough idle when engine at operating temperature. It will go away with rpms over 1000rpm and if I rev engine a few times over 2000rpm it can go away at idle. This on a recently bought 2009 Expedition EB with 147k miles. If it idles roughly too long it will trigger a code P0012 and P0022 but from my reading it points to failing VCT solenoids. I was going to try to get them replaced first to see if that cures the issues with fresh oil change with factory filter. In the meanwhile I put sea foam in the engine oil to hopefully break down sludge in oil that can contribute to this problem.

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I subscribed to this thread because I have the same issues...intermittent rough idle when engine at operating temperature. It will go away with rpms over 1000rpm and if I rev engine a few times over 2000rpm it can go away at idle. This on a recently bought 2009 Expedition EB with 147k miles. If it idles roughly too long it will trigger a code P0012 and P0022 but from my reading it points to failing VCT solenoids. I was going to try to get them replaced first to see if that cures the issues with fresh oil change with factory filter. In the meanwhile I put sea foam in the engine oil to hopefully break down sludge in oil that can contribute to this problem.
rough idle could also be ignition related. if you have a bad plug or coil you will notice it at idle and when car is under load/accelerating.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the 5.4 3 valve engine correct? That noise is bad and you have between 5k-15k miles left before full fail of the engine from when you first heard it start clanking. This engine is POS and to make it last, always full synthetic oil.

Get your $4k (As it can go up to that much but hopefully not. My total $4200) ready if you're gonna have it done by a mechanic. No reason to leave out any of this at that mileage:
Replace Chains, tensioners, phasers, rockers, cams, water pump. Maybe the oil pump but others may know better than me on that oil pump.

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the 5.4 3 valve engine correct? That noise is bad and you have between 5k-15k miles left before full fail of the engine from when you first heard it start clanking. This engine is POS and to make it last, always full synthetic oil.

Get your $4k (As it can go up to that much but hopefully not. My total $4200) ready if you're gonna have it done by a mechanic. No reason to leave out any of this at that mileage:
Replace Chains, tensioners, phasers, rockers, cams, water pump. Maybe the oil pump but others may know better than me on that oil pump.
IMO, having done one now, the pump is cheap, no reason not to change it... but at a minimum, if you want to be cheap, take the plate off the pump and clean out the pressure channel. gunk builds up and can cause suction to fail/reduce, which directly affects pressure.

1644872344520.png