Vista Roof Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is making a creaking noise when going over bumps, dips, and in general when the body is flexing. I think I found where the problem is coming from, because I can recreate the sound by pushing on the black bar that separates the sliding glass from the fixed glass. I have an appointment for this and a few other things coming up, so hopefully they have a fix and I don't have to resort to a putty bush fix.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is making a creaking noise when going over bumps, dips, and in general when the body is flexing. I think I found where the problem is coming from, because I can recreate the sound by pushing on the black bar that separates the sliding glass from the fixed glass. I have an appointment for this and a few other things coming up, so hopefully they have a fix and I don't have to resort to a putty bush fix.
Mine creaks occasionally when the weather changes. I just open the vent, it makes a loud thunk, I close the vent, and all is well. I assume it's just the body of the vehicle flexing and reacting to the temperature change and the glass needs to reseat.

I'm not going to complain, though, because my knees do the same thing.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine creaks occasionally when the weather changes. I just open the vent, it makes a loud thunk, I close the vent, and all is well. I assume it's just the body of the vehicle flexing and reacting to the temperature change and the glass needs to reseat.

I'm not going to complain, though, because my knees do the same thing.

Mine is a constant creaking. Just had my wife drive me around in the back seat. It’s coming from where the vista frame attaches to the body. I tried tilting and sliding etc. and it’s still making the noise.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine creaks every couple of months and I wipe a silicone lubricant on all the rubber seals. It quiets right back down (at least for a couple more months).

JEB2

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Expedition used and I have discovered the rattling sunroof and have been looking for answers. As well as the creaking and rattling around the sunroof itself, I have a metal on metal rattle in the ceiling over the 3rd row seats that quiets down some when the sunroof is fully open.

Had I known the trouble with these sunroofs I would have bought the one without a sunroof that I was looking at. If anyone has had a dealership actually fix some of these rattles I’d love to know what was done. I’m having a little trouble with the dealer that I bought the car from.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Expedition used and I have discovered the rattling sunroof and have been looking for answers. As well as the creaking and rattling around the sunroof itself, I have a metal on metal rattle in the ceiling over the 3rd row seats that quiets down some when the sunroof is fully open.

Had I known the trouble with these sunroofs I would have bought the one without a sunroof that I was looking at. If anyone has had a dealership actually fix some of these rattles I’d love to know what was done. I’m having a little trouble with the dealer that I bought the car from.

These roofs have to be maintained. YouTube has videos on how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score

TSB 19-2374 first.

Second, check the tightness of the screws holding the rear moonroof window in place. They are easy to see if you retract the sunshade and look between the window and the headliner.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Same here. The loud "thunk" is a little disturbing, but after re-closing the creak/rattle is almost completely gone... for a while ;)

TheAngryOgre

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump.
I’m having this issue with my 10-month old 2021 Expy. Anyone else with the more recent models?