Warning low oil pressure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You are ignorant for 'dragging' a Expedition, a brand new one to boot...If you read your manual, is says(in all CAPS, WHAT IS NOT COVERED), specifically racing. During break in, to... avoid hard acceleration/braking and towing. I bet your engine issue, is probably from horsing the piss out of it. Engine failures are rare. The district rep, will probably want a specific reason from dealer, for the failure(data download). Good Luck with that. A co-worker's 2011, had a turbo failure. It was so odd, Ford flew someone to N.Y., to examine truck.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Thought all of you might this interesting
Here is a pic of a Ford ECOBOOST piston
5d74f801552d9e60ac2d28b82b804d8d.jpg

Note that they use a forged piston with a steel ring land for the top compression ring just like those used in Diesels
The also use deep skirt blocks with cross bolted mains, forged crankshafts & forged connecting rods
Makes them pretty bullet proof
Racing engines use forged pistons for strength. They handle the pounding, but don't last long. This is a type of forged, but not a racing piston or diesel.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford uses forged pistons and forged crack powdered metal connecting rods in the 5.4L Triton. They used cross bolted main caps with dowel pins on the 8 bolt crankshaft on light duty truck and high performance 3V engines. They don’t mess around when they build a short block for severe duty. Forged internals have proven to hold up well in truck use. My guess is the ecoboost definitely has forged pistons.

Last edited:
OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are ignorant for 'dragging' a Expedition, a brand new one to boot...If you read your manual, is says(in all CAPS, WHAT IS NOT COVERED), specifically racing. During break in, to... avoid hard acceleration/braking and towing. I bet your engine issue, is probably from horsing the piss out of it. Engine failures are rare. The district rep, will probably want a specific reason from dealer, for the failure(data download). Good Luck with that. A co-worker's 2011, had a turbo failure. It was so odd, Ford flew someone to N.Y., to examine truck.

Well, I don't see your point! The truck was "broken in" well before it ever made it's first pass down the Dragstrip.
All caps or not, I never "raced" my Expedition, this is where you seem to be confused with reality.
Engine failures are rare, my belief at this point is the all new GEN II oil pump has something to do with the problem, whether it is the pump itself, or something else contributing to the problem. The gen 1 pump was a simple mechanical device, gen 2 is anything but simple.
There is an 18 F150 at the same dealer (dealer #2) also 3.5 ecoboost, that had nearly the same miles and is receiving a new head, yes singular.

I do not remember making claims of the engine being toast, only that there's an unexplainable loss of oil pressure...period!

Do you even know what a "race" is? Seriously, you should have an attorney define it for you, before continuing to spew your ignorance all over this thread, and this forum.
I'll give you the cliff notes, as it's painfully obvious you lack any semblance of attention span...

There were no prizes, there were no championship points, and nothing of any monetary value earned.

Weak sauce, pal, weak sauce.
Every vehicle I have owned since the eighties has gone down the Dragstrip, where it is safe, and free from oncoming traffic, trains, deer, and mailboxes. My Honda Pilot and Odyssey being the only exceptions.

Numerous motorcycles, and cars/pickup trucks, not once did any of their engines give up the ghost.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Well, I don't see your point! The truck was "broken in" well before it ever made it's first pass down the Dragstrip.
All caps or not, I never "raced" my Expedition, this is where you seem to be confused with reality.
Engine failures are rare, my belief at this point is the all new GEN II oil pump has something to do with the problem, whether it is the pump itself, or something else contributing to the problem. The gen 1 pump was a simple mechanical device, gen 2 is anything but simple.
There is an 18 F150 at the same dealer (dealer #2) also 3.5 ecoboost, that had nearly the same miles and is receiving a new head, yes singular.

I do not remember making claims of the engine being toast, only that there's an unexplainable loss of oil pressure...period!

Do you even know what a "race" is? Seriously, you should have an attorney define it for you, before continuing to spew your ignorance all over this thread, and this forum.
I'll give you the cliff notes, as it's painfully obvious you lack any semblance of attention span...

There were no prizes, there were no championship points, and nothing of any monetary value earned.

Weak sauce, pal, weak sauce.
Every vehicle I have owned since the eighties has gone down the Dragstrip, where it is safe, and free from oncoming traffic, trains, deer, and mailboxes. My Honda Pilot and Odyssey being the only exceptions.

Numerous motorcycles, and cars/pickup trucks, not once did any of their engines give up the ghost.
So sitting on a starting line, spooling up the turbo with one foot on the brake. Then a full throttle launch to the reline, at speeds over 90mph is normal driving? Every time you disable the traction control, it is 'recorded' as a event. You stated "metal in the oil" and a quart low. That's a lot of oil to burn in a new engine and sounds bad. Ford will most likely fix it. I dare you to try it again. I am sure people at the track, had a good laugh watching you 'skin' your new SUV.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So sitting on a starting line, spooling up the turbo with one foot on the brake. Then a full throttle launch to the reline, at speeds over 90mph is normal driving? Every time you disable the traction control, it is 'recorded' as a event. You stated "metal in the oil" and a quart low. That's a lot of oil to burn in a new engine and sounds bad. Ford will most likely fix it. I dare you to try it again. I am sure people at the track, had a good laugh watching you 'skin' your new SUV.

Just when I thought you couldn't get more outrageous and be more of an inflammatory jackazz, there you go proving me wrong.
What exactly is your end game here, anyway?
How is it adding anything of real substance to this post warning of a drop in oil pressure with a 2018 Expedition?

Right, it's not, not even a little, your sole purpose is to rant about YOUR personal beliefs as if they are factual.

I never conceded there was metal in the oil, go back and read for comprehension jack!
That was a blatant LIE, from dealer number 1!

The oil in question is on it's way to a lab for diagnosis.

You can't even read, yet you post ridiculous statements, in order to cast shame on me. Class act, you are.

It would be to your advantage, to have a steaming hot cup of shut the **** up, and let this thread, develop if it does in fact turn out there is a problem with Ford's electronic variable oil pump.

Not one other person jumped in here for the low hanging fruit, but you, and you've done a masterful job with it too, utterly dumb.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Just when I thought you couldn't get more outrageous and be more of an inflammatory jackazz, there you go proving me wrong.
What exactly is your end game here, anyway?
How is it adding anything of real substance to this post warning of a drop in oil pressure with a 2018 Expedition?

Right, it's not, not even a little, your sole purpose is to rant about YOUR personal beliefs as if they are factual.

I never conceded there was metal in the oil, go back and read for comprehension jack!
That was a blatant LIE, from dealer number 1!

The oil in question is on it's way to a lab for diagnosis.

You can't even read, yet you post ridiculous statements, in order to cast shame on me. Class act, you are.

It would be to your advantage, to have a steaming hot cup of shut the **** up, and let this thread, develop if it does in fact turn out there is a problem with Ford's electronic variable oil pump.

Not one other person jumped in here for the low hanging fruit, but you, and you've done a masterful job with it too, utterly dumb.
I stand corrected. The problem with your Expedition is probably the nut, between the seat and steering wheel.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Here's a little tidbit of published information I ran across today, straight from Ford Performance boss Carl Widmann.

I HAD TO slip it in here, simply because it is indicative vindication of EXACTLY what I've said before, yet some folks tend to think I had/have utterly no clue, or leg to stand on, because my truck has been to a few test and tune events. Of course, any rational beings will appreciate that I've posted this information, and the normal irrational folks who disdain the mere idea of taking a brand new expedExped party bus to a Dragstrip even ONE time, will be fuelled with even more animosity. So be it, agree to disagree, even when faced with even more facts...

Get familiar with Magnusson Moss Act, Lemon laws, and consumer protection laws, rather than listen to a few negative Nancy's who tend to take a regional manager's or dealership level representative's thoughts on certain matters as gospel.
Before it is said, I'd like to affirm, this article is about a Mustang and not an Expedition, BUT the implications are no different, and there is zero possibility for denial as such.

I'd like to call your attention to the following, from the article...
To be specific, taking the GT500 to the drag strip or a test-and-tune track event will not void the warranty. Should an owner enter their GT500 into a bracketed heat at a drag strip, or any track competition, that will void the car's warranty.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-gt500-warranty-if-you-take-it-to-a-racetrack