Water Coming from Behind the Door Panel and onto the Sill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did the dealer pull the door panel off and have a look inside?

thats what I would do if I was servicing your vehicle

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did the dealer pull the door panel off and have a look inside?

thats what I would do if I was servicing your vehicle
They didn't. That was on of the questions that I asked. It's what I would have done first to check for evidence of a leak. They spent from about 9:30 to 4:00 pouring water on it )shower head) and not finding a leak. After that they didn't want to take the panel off because it was getting late in the day. They said that I could take it up to their body shop in another part of town and they might have a better way of checking. I told him I would keep an eye on it to see when happened next. Oddly enough when I picked it up the sill was wet and so was the bottom of the door where the panel meets the metal door frame. but there was no way to tell where the water came from at the point so I just took it home.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when I worked at a Ford dealer we had a RF transmitter that we would put in the car and then would run a receiver with a small flexible end on it (like a AC leak sniffer) around all the seams, this would pick up leaks by beeping.

Was not perfect but it was what we had at the time, this was 20 years ago.

Not sure if they still use something like this or not

there is also the dollar bill test, take a dollar bill and lay it between the sealing surfaces of the door and pull it out, feel how much drag is on it, compare that to other areas.

We would use that to adjust doors, etc

your leak if I am understand this correctly sounds like its between the window felt and and window or in an area like that

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I worked at a Ford dealer we had a RF transmitter that we would put in the car and then would run a receiver with a small flexible end on it (like a AC leak sniffer) around all the seams, this would pick up leaks by beeping.

Was not perfect but it was what we had at the time, this was 20 years ago.

Not sure if they still use something like this or not

there is also the dollar bill test, take a dollar bill and lay it between the sealing surfaces of the door and pull it out, feel how much drag is on it, compare that to other areas.

We would use that to adjust doors, etc

your leak if I am understand this correctly sounds like its between the window felt and and window or in an area like that
That's my thought Brian. Water us following the glass down and then some how dripping against the inner door panel and dripping on to the sill.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had SO many issues with H2O infiltration on my '03EB that I'm quite happy I've seen no water so far in this truck. On the '03 it was so bad that I pulled the rocker panels and drilled 9/16" holes in the bollom of the panels to allow the water to drain out. There is no feeling like pulling that plastic panel and seeing the "channel" underneath FILLED with water....yes, all the bundles of wires fully submerged....that's why I drilled the holes!

I poured tube after tube of silicone caulk into the roof & window trims and never stopped the leaks completely....slowed them but never stopped them.

jeff

Kurtyg2020

Reaction score
Question @ExpeditionAndy Have you had any more issue with water and your door? I seem to have an excessive amount of water in my passenger side door, when I open and close it I can hear water "swishing" around in there. I know there are drains, but mine must be clogged. My kids looked out the other day and said your car is peeing daddy. I have been checking it the past few days and there seems to be less and less water in there, but I don't think there should be any water at all. I haven't had the time to exam the door, but where are the drains located?
Thanks

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question @ExpeditionAndy Have you had any more issue with water and your door? I seem to have an excessive amount of water in my passenger side door, when I open and close it I can hear water "swishing" around in there. I know there are drains, but mine must be clogged. My kids looked out the other day and said your car is peeing daddy. I have been checking it the past few days and there seems to be less and less water in there, but I don't think there should be any water at all. I haven't had the time to exam the door, but where are the drains located?
Thanks
Hi Kurtyg2020, welcome to the forum.

I have water when it rains very heavily and it's only a couple of drops.

I see two. One on the front edge of the door at the very bottom where the sheet metal folds up and one at the back which makes sense because as you accelerate water will be pushed toward the back and out. You might try sticking a pipe cleaner or thin wire in the openings to make sure they are clear.

Kurtyg2020

Reaction score
Hi Kurtyg2020, welcome to the forum.

I have water when it rains very heavily and it's only a couple of drops.

I see two. One on the front edge of the door at the very bottom where the sheet metal folds up and one at the back which makes sense because as you accelerate water will be pushed toward the back and out. You might try sticking a pipe cleaner or thin wire in the openings to make sure they are clear.

Thanks Andy, I will try that this weekend and see what happens. I was just surprised to hear that much water in the door.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Andy, I will try that this weekend and see what happens. I was just surprised to hear that much water in the door.
If the drains get blocked the door will fill up with water and come out any place it can find an opening. I think that's what's happening with mine I think on a heavy rain the door fills up faster than the drains can handle.