Weathertech mud flap protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The power running boards make it much easier to get into our SUV. The fixed running boards would be much harder for her to use.

Same here. My littlest kiddo wasn't able to get into an XLT without becoming a mountain climber. The power steps come much much further down... I even use em! I had an 08 4runner with fixed steps and they actually made it harder to get in and out of the vehicle haha. Fingers crossed our power steps hold up. Simpler can be better, but I will say I don't miss crank windows!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya if I shut the power running boards off, my boys need me to hoist them in. With the steps down, they climb right in with no issues.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would rather spend a little time keeping the power running boards cleaned and serviced versus everyone sliding off the seats to get out and pulling on them to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Same here. My littlest kiddo wasn't able to get into an XLT without becoming a mountain climber. The power steps come much much further down... I even use em! I had an 08 4runner with fixed steps and they actually made it harder to get in and out of the vehicle haha. Fingers crossed our power steps hold up. Simpler can be better, but I will say I don't miss crank windows!
I miss crank windows. Had to replace 2 regulators and master switch and windows don't work well now on the 2003 (sloooooowwwww). That's over a thousand dollar$ I'll never see again.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generally when I buy a vehicle I buy the trim level that has every option. In this case, power running board. The Grand Cherokee didn't need it, plus I had the air suspension and could lower it for parking, making it easier for my 5 YO and 8 YO to get in and out. I don't even use the static running boards on my F150, and my kids just end up sliding off of them. They seem much more sure footed on the power boards of the Expedition. In all, I'm glad I have them (for now). I just wanted to see if I could help keep them from failing and costing $2K to fix myself.

As for the comments about adaptive cruise, etc just being a maintenance nightmare...we had it on our 2008 Infiniti M45x and never had an issue, I had it on my 2011 Grand Cherokee Summit and never had a problem, and my wife has it on her '15 Lincoln MKS AWD and hasn't had an issue. Hopefully this vehicle follows that trend. Though the Lincoln does seem a little finicky about snow/ice blockages. Might be because the sensor is behind the bumper cover and on the Infiniti and Jeep they were exposed somewhat.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generally when I buy a vehicle I buy the trim level that has every option. In this case, power running board. The Grand Cherokee didn't need it, plus I had the air suspension and could lower it for parking, making it easier for my 5 YO and 8 YO to get in and out. I don't even use the static running boards on my F150, and my kids just end up sliding off of them. They seem much more sure footed on the power boards of the Expedition. In all, I'm glad I have them (for now). I just wanted to see if I could help keep them from failing and costing $2K to fix myself.

As for the comments about adaptive cruise, etc just being a maintenance nightmare...we had it on our 2008 Infiniti M45x and never had an issue, I had it on my 2011 Grand Cherokee Summit and never had a problem, and my wife has it on her '15 Lincoln MKS AWD and hasn't had an issue. Hopefully this vehicle follows that trend. Though the Lincoln does seem a little finicky about snow/ice blockages. Might be because the sensor is behind the bumper cover and on the Infiniti and Jeep they were exposed somewhat.
I have a feeling you'll be just fine. New tech is finicky when it's new, that's the way things work. But most of the stuff on these vehicles is not new, just new to this model.

Ford/Lincoln has been doing power deployable running boards for a while now. Adaptive cruise hasn't been a new tech since the late '90s. Auto start-stop has been around for almost 30 years. Lane departure warning systems were introduced by the Japanese in the early 2000s. No one is complaining about anti-lock brakes, power steering, or automatic transmissions...and those were all "new tech" at one point.

It is easy to be bearish on "new tech" as something that will always break, but things get better over time. Remember how often your Windows computer would crash in the '90s and 00's?...but I bet you can't remember the last time you got the "blue screen of death."

The vast majority of the systems on these Expis can safely be called "proven" by now, even if it is new to the Expi model specifically.

Eventually, folks may just have to admit car manufacturers know what they're doing and aren't actively trying to sell us turds that are going to self-destruct just because they have a computer chip in them.

Progress is not bad, folks.

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I miss crank windows. Had to replace 2 regulators and master switch and windows don't work well now on the 2003 (sloooooowwwww). That's over a thousand dollar$ I'll never see again.

Understandable there. My dad's '04 F150 had major issues with the power windows too. I remember when the crank window levers broke, vice grips were the go-to fix ha. The power windows on my '89 F150 would go out every few years, but it was always 3 little cheap nylon bushings inside the motor, which was a cheap fix luckily.

I like the ability to be able to roll down all of the windows from the driver's seat with power!

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm glad my Expedition has fixed running boards instead of powered.

I love my powered running boards. Glad I went with the fully loaded Platinum. Having second thoughts of not going with the fully loaded navigator. Just didn't feel like my rap game was strong enough at the time.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purposely purchased mine without the retracting running boards, lane keep assist, 360 camera, radar cruise control, etc. Those are all the things that easily break or go outand cost a fortune to repair/replace. Sometimes simpler is better.

You sound cheap or broke. Put in a few more hours. LOL J/K

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sound cheap or broke. Put in a few more hours. LOL J/K
Both. To broke to pay an extra $15k to have it, and too cheap to fix that junk when it fails and only the dealership has the ability to fix.