What brand/specs of a trailer hitch do you have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been using an old Curt from my other SUV with a standard drop, need a new one. I usually just tow a small 5x8 trailer for moving stuff

Thanks

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interested too.

How much drop/rise are people finding they need?

The receiver seems lower on our new 4th Gen vs the 17 3rd Gen.

Just curious what people are finding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Weigh Safe 2-Ball Mount w/ Built-In Scale - 2-1/2" Hitch - 4" Drop, 5" Rise - 14.5K

I dropped it a couple inches and never needed the lowest setting. A pic is attached with my 18' Featherlite. I had to slightly change the weight distribution by moving the car slightly forward and dropped the height a tad more after the pic but this should give you an idea. It's not even close to the lowest setting.
9105240a194e691d8b597ce48aba1d1e.jpg

Last edited:

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With stock suspension I use a traditional Curt hitch with a 4" drop. Keeps my camper at a level 18" front to back. My tongue weight is probably 450-500 max so no need for weight distribution. I forgot to measure sag, but it seemed to be minimal.

Unfortunately, COVID-19 has prohibited me from actually towing this year, but I did the initial setup back in January before we had a stay-at-home order. I do have sway control. That plate is not shown, but it basically is a second smaller ball to the right when facing the rear of the vehicle.

upload_2020-4-18_17-20-15.png

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interested too.

How much drop/rise are people finding they need?

The receiver seems lower on our new 4th Gen vs the 17 3rd Gen.

Just curious what people are finding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drop will be dependent on the trailer.

You will want to measure the height of the top of the frame at your axle. On mine, a 4" drop puts the ball head at right around 18", which is where I want to be on my camper. Good luck!

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Sumo Springs for the rear but haven't needed to install them. Ford's towing package with the built in sway control works almost perfectly.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Sumo Springs for the rear but haven't needed to install them. Ford's towing package with the built in sway control works almost perfectly.
I hate how the Expedition sags so much in the rear with just about any trailer behind it.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I buy solid Aluminum receiver's for mine, so they aren't all rust after a couple winters.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate how the Expedition sags so much in the rear with just about any trailer behind it.
Same here. The only way to get around it are the Sumo Springs, to reduce spring travel, or a Weight Distribution hitch, to move some of the trailer weight to the front suspension.