What did you do to your expedition today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buzzcon

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of spending more money on repairs. Had my 98 in to replace the Actuator for the front axle. PITA to get the old one out!!! Only spent $80, including installation.

Attachments

• expyatchads.jpg
    expyatchads.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 95

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have good taste!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

I Keep telling myself that. One thing I did do to them is I took vinyl wrap and wraped the chrome middle piece. To me it looked allot better or at least on my beast it did.

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced the spark plugs, found it had Autolight plugs just standard kind and replaced the wires too and replaced hoses going to the "DPFE" since sombody had used plain fuel line instead of the high temp silicone hoses.

#3 plug had some really cool black lines going from top to bottom that was the arc paths, explained my major miss under load. It never tossed a light but not that it runs like a top, yup check engine light came on so need to hook up reader and see what it shows.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
replaced my master cylinder and changed the oil/filter. she is at 279,805 right now and doing great. ac work and alignment to follow this month then i can actually do some mods. nothing major though

SFTX

Reaction score
My wife replaced the Fuel Filter on a 2006 Ford Expedition. She's always wanted to do mechanical things, so I've started to work on it with her. It seems like the common recommendation is to replace the fuel filter every 30,000 miles, which seems reasonable since the filter is ~ $10. I don't think the original owners ever replaced it, and it's an easy job. I'll do a writeup later, but essentially you need:

TOOLS

* 8mm socket: To remove the negative battery clamp
* 10mm socket: To remove the fuel filter shield
* Lisle 39400 Angled Disconnect Tool Set (less than $15) to remove fuel lines
* Motorcraft FG986B Fuel Filter; $11, (2006 Expy - may be a different model for your year)
* Eye protection

* Rag to mop up spills
* Small bucket/container to catch fuel drips
* Fire Extinguisher (in case anything goes wrong)

PROCESS

The replacement was easy, and took under 15 minutes. It will probably take less than 5 next time:

* Start the Expedition
* Passenger front footwell: Remove the blue 15a fuse to the fuel pump (#12 position, page 278)
* Let the Expedition stall out to bleed out pressure. It will take between 1-2 minutes to stall out.
* Try to restart it once more to make sure it has no pressure.
* If you don't do the above 4 steps, you'll get a face full of high-pressure gas when removing the filter. Do it.
* Disconnect negative battery cable (8mm) and cover w/a rag (I use a work glove) to prevent sparking
* I choose to wait an hour or two to let everything cool off. You ARE dealing w/fuel.
* Remove fuel filter shield from the tank (2 x 10mm bolts). The shield is on the top front of the fuel tank, driver side. The filter sits on top of the tank, right behind it.
* CAREFUL: If you screw up the following step, it's $75 to replace the entire fuel line. They don't sell the clip seperately:
* Right side hose: Unlock the blue clips and disconnect the line.
* I let the filter hang and drain into my bucket at this point.
* Left side hose: It has a simple metal clip on it. Remove that.
* Left side hose: Use the blue plastic disconnect tool (Lisle 39400) to detach the hose.
* Replace fuel filter. The arrow should point towards the passenger side.
* Reconnect fuel lines on either side of the fuel filter
* Pull a little bit on the lines on either side of the filter to ensure they're snapped in
* Re-insert the 15a blue fuse into the passenger side fusebox.
* Reconnect the negative battery terminal
* Turn your ingnition to RUN (not START) to re-pressurize fuel lines & fill filter w/gas
* Repeat above step 2 times at 10 second intervals to ensure pressurization
* Start your Expedition
* Look under your vehicle to ensure no fuel leaks/drips
* Shut down your Expedition
* Re-install the fuel filter shield shield (2 x 10mm bolts) over the fuel filter.

The whole process will probably take < 10 mins next time. It took a little longer this time since I talked her through some stuff, and she was being extremely careful.

She used to say she could never handle this size (she owned a smaller SUV) but now that she owns a blacked out Expedition, she's in love and wants to take good care of her truck ;)

Last edited:

hooraah

Reaction score
Worked on sanding the rust out of the roof. Almost halfway there. This is not a fun project.

QfF8yZJ.jpg

qVzcCXE.jpg

B8p0lTU.jpg

Also, replaced my idler and tensioner bearings by pressing out the old ones and pressing in new ones. Only $15 for the bearings instead of $100 for the idler and the tensioner.

nFY0CqM.jpg

E5n7uAf.jpg

Ye67Kmn.jpg

Last edited:

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lights done!

Finished my headlight upgrades this weekend!
New black background Euro style clear headlights and crystal fogs. Much better lighting with MUCH better looks!

New look
newlight.jpg

Old factory look
oldlight.jpg

Well worth the money so far!!!

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finished my headlight upgrades this weekend!
New black background Euro style clear headlights and crystal fogs. Much better lighting with MUCH better looks!

New look
newlight.jpg

Old factory look
oldlight.jpg

Well worth the money so far!!!

Looks good!

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, replaced my idler and tensioner bearings by pressing out the old ones and pressing in new ones. Only $15 for the bearings instead of $100 for the idler and the tensioner.

nFY0CqM.jpg

E5n7uAf.jpg

Ye67Kmn.jpg

--------------
Mind sharing what bearing part# / brand you used? I did this on my wife's car about six months ago. Saved a bundle. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oelkersbrian