Votes: 41 45.1%
  • I siphon gas from the neighbor

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I actually drive a Prius

• 100+ Racing Gas

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just didnt want somebody thinking they NEED to run premium
and spending money that they might otherwise need for BEER, that would be a tragedy

I can get behind this statement 100%. Only valid argument behind not running Premium!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have XLT so I just use regular 87. Why waste money on mid or premium gas unless you have Platinum model? I'm in Acura MDX forum and those cheapstakes like to use regular gas when Acura recommend or require premium gas :)

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have XLT so I just use regular 87. Why waste money on mid or premium gas unless you have Platinum model? I'm in Acura MDX forum and those cheapstakes like to use regular gas when Acura recommend or require premium gas :)

All 15+ Expeditions have an EB Motor. They are all Turbocharged, and you aren’t getting full rated power without using 93 Octane.

Rezolution

Reaction score
Does anyone actually know if the firmware of the vehicle is different for the XLT package VS. the Platinum package in terms of allowing more HP based on octane rating? Maybe someone that works at Ford or has done dyno tests with different grades of fuel on an XLT package.

Wouldn't the following statement imply that they limit the HP boost based on which model you've purchased?:

"However, the engine does show more muscle as you reach the top of the trim level lineup. Housed on the Expedition XL, XLT or Limited, the V6 delivers 375 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque. Behind the wheel of the Expedition Platinum, drivers get boosted to 400 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque."

It sounds like if you have an XLT, you get 375HP and that's it. A higher octane would only eliminate knocking if you have experience it. If you have a platinum and run 87 you'd get 375 and running 93 would increase you to 400. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly... It's all really just a guess anyway unless someone has actual proof that the base model will allow the increased HP output.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone actually know if the firmware of the vehicle is different for the XLT package VS. the Platinum package in terms of allowing more HP based on octane rating? Maybe someone that works at Ford or has done dyno tests with different grades of fuel on an XLT package.

Wouldn't the following statement imply that they limit the HP boost based on which model you've purchased?:

"However, the engine does show more muscle as you reach the top of the trim level lineup. Housed on the Expedition XL, XLT or Limited, the V6 delivers 375 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque. Behind the wheel of the Expedition Platinum, drivers get boosted to 400 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque."

It sounds like if you have an XLT, you get 375HP and that's it. A higher octane would only eliminate knocking if you have experience it. If you have a platinum and run 87 you'd get 375 and running 93 would increase you to 400. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly... It's all really just a guess anyway unless someone has actual proof that the base model will allow the increased HP output.
My understanding is the Platys are tuned differently to allow the extra hp, it's not just the increased octane. So yes, if you run premium in an XLT or a Ltd, you will not get more than 375. And similarly, you will only get the 400 for which the Platy is tuned if you're running premium.

Of course this is not the case with the Navis as they have the raptor motor with entirely different parts to get them all the way to 450hp.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My understanding is the Platys are tuned differently to allow the extra hp, it's not just the increased octane. So yes, if you run premium in an XLT or a Ltd, you will not get more than 375. And similarly, you will only get the 400 for which the Platy is tuned if you're running premium.

Of course this is not the case with the Navis as they have the raptor motor with entirely different parts to get them all the way to 450hp.

This! The difference in the Expy is just a Tune.

The tunes are based on Demanded power levels, and are detuned from there based on Knock.

So yes, the lower tune level might might see less of a difference, but will still see a difference, because it is based on demand, and the tune difference is small.

Rezolution

Reaction score
That makes sense. I've never seen my boost gauge go over 80%, they probably have it locked down. I have a sneaking feeling that those who own the Platinum get to see that gauge go to 100%.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That makes sense. I've never seen my boost gauge go over 80%, they probably have it locked down. I have a sneaking feeling that those who own the Platinum get to see that gauge go to 100%.

Even tuned to 400, this 2nd Gen motor isn’t even close to what it is capable of. Even in non HO trim.

Plati

Reaction score
…A higher octane would only eliminate knocking if you have experience it....

I saw this article on an earlier 2018 thread (that and forum posts educated me on the EcoBoost). The EcoBoost does a lot of real time adjustments & control to maximize performance based on what fuel is present. So (if I understand correctly) the EcoBoost modern engine is capable of taking advantage of the premium fuel vs the premium fuel with higher octane will eliminate knock if it is occurring. If I have it right and if that makes sense.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/unde...ons-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never seen my boost gauge get close to 100%. Usually maxes to 75% or so and for just a short time too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze