Votes: 41 45.1%
  • I siphon gas from the neighbor

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I actually drive a Prius

• 100+ Racing Gas

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw this article on an earlier 2018 thread (that and forum posts educated me on the EcoBoost). The EcoBoost does a lot of real time adjustments & control to maximize performance based on what fuel is present. So (if I understand correctly) the EcoBoost modern engine is capable of taking advantage of the premium fuel vs the premium fuel with higher octane will eliminate knock if it is occurring. If I have it right and if that makes sense.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/unde...ons-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/

Correct, It does adjust based on knock, and Learned OAR(Octane Adjust Ratio).

The uniqueness of the EB is that it doesn’t add power, it takes power away. It is tuned based on the higher level, and pulls timing based on OAR. That is the difference in thinking. That is why even a little E added to slightly increase Octane and evaporative cooling, sees a benefit on even Stock tuning. Especially under heavy load. It helps prevent knock and improve the OAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes … bit of a different subject but related. All the government MPG fuel economy (not HP) testing is done with "premium fuel" .. so if you use regular fuel for your day to day driving you will always achieve less MPG (in a vehicle that can take advantage of premium fuel).
:emotions33:

fL7G63O.png

Plati

Reaction score
Interesting, but I'm not sure what that means.
Various interpretations possible I guess.
I do see the Regular Gasoline

You know (I'm sure everyone does) you can't believe everything you read.
Anything I post is in that category too!! I try to be accurate.

Here is where I got my info.
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/octane-fuel-economy-horsepower-epa/

and its says:
"The EPA and automakers use Indolene test fuel for all (gasoline) vehicle testing, for consistency purposes," a spokesperson for the agency says. "Indolene is a high-octane fuel that meets a wide range of technical specifications."

another interesting factoid for the testing is that they dont actually measure the volume of gas consumed. they collect the tailpipe exhaust gas and measure the carbon content and calculate the amount of fuel they "figure" was used (amount of energy). maybe they added a fudge factor and calculated it to what was used if it was regular vs premium? so they might fill tank with Indolene but calculate MPG out to be representative of regular octane. i think they also add a fudge factor for the aerondynamics and rolling resistance of the vehicle. the testing was designed by F'in Engineers after all.

its all so complicated. i'm gonna have a BEER
which I can easily afford since I burn 87 octane gas
(dont care what time of day it is, I'm retired)

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
KpsW0wQ.png

29417e2f19bf39e29814c1e25033bc708246cde9&rid=giphy.gif

its all so complicated. i'm gonna have a BEER
which I can easily afford since I burn 87 octane gas
(dont care what time of day it is, I'm retired)

Ya so the basic gist of things I'm getting from the most of the replies is that putting around town, 87 is fine. Towing and highway, 91(or 93). My BiL said the same thing(he has the 3.5 in his F150).

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ya so the basic gist of things I'm getting from the most of the replies is that putting around town, 87 is fine. Towing and highway, 91(or 93). My BiL said the same thing(he has the 3.5 in his F150).

Personally, I like to have all the power available all the time, but I like power.

When I ran the numbers, with the Wife’s regular driving, I saw an increase in MPG while running 93 vs 87. Did it completely make up for the fuel cost difference, No, but it offset it, and the cost per mile was very close.

For me it was a Win/win. More power, with little impact to my bottom line. Plus, looking at logging, FAR less KR(Knock Retard) events!