Votes: 41 45.1%
  • I siphon gas from the neighbor

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I actually drive a Prius

• 100+ Racing Gas

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
And you would be wrong...

c342a52e40665e24efd2f5c203cb51c0.jpg

This is Fords own site, that says Premium.

Other parts of Ford’s site for other vehicles specifically mention 93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes … bit of a different subject but related. All the government MPG fuel economy (not HP) testing is done with "premium fuel" .. so if you use regular fuel for your day to day driving you will always achieve less MPG (in a vehicle that can take advantage of premium fuel).

spiderman865

Reaction score
MY 2019 owners manual says 87 octane but, for best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MY 2019 owners manual says 87 octane but, for best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.
So does the 2018 manual... @Scottorama needs to turn the page and keep reading.

I'm designed to operate on pizza and beer, but that doesn't mean I'm my best self when that's all I eat.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a difference between minimum and recommended. Recommended is Premium.

Yes, EB Motors will run on 87, but they are tuned for 93. Run less than 93, the KR’s increase, which causes the timing to be pulled even under light load on 87. Pull timing, and you get less power.

I don’t know this by guessing or reading forums but MANY hours of logging using my HP Tuner MPVI2 on both my 16 Edge(about 75% of those hours), and my 17 Expy. My Edge is running the highest E content tune in the country for that platform with the Stock Fuel pump. That is E70. Lot’s of experience in this area.

SO MUCH misinformation out there in regards to what these motors need and run best on.

Want the numbers Ford published for you EB powered vehicle, run 93, it is as simple as that!

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The SAE J1349 standard If it hasn’t changed recently is 87-97 octane for premium. I ran 88 ethanol free gas and 85 regular in my 16 EB and it hated it. No math, dyno or study needed. It was that obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The SAE J1349 standard If it hasn’t changed recently is 87-97 octane for premium. I ran 88 ethanol free gas and 85 regular in my 16 EB and it hated it. No math, dyno or study needed. It was that obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep! Ethanol free is the WORST thing you can put in these modern Turbo Motors. The more Ethanol the better within reason. The increased Octane, and the evaporative cooling both help to decrease knock, and therefore prevent any timing from being pulled. I am known to add a few gallons periodically of E85 to the Expy, using my 93 tune. Basically taking it in the realm of E15/E20. Runs AMAZING!

My Edge is a whole different Motor on E70! Gas MPG is down, but per Gallon total cost is 25 cents less than 87. Amazing power, and my cost per mile is about a wash. LOVE IT!