Votes: 41 45.1%
  • I siphon gas from the neighbor

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I actually drive a Prius

• 100+ Racing Gas

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, I like to have all the power available all the time, but I like power.

When I ran the numbers, with the Wife’s regular driving, I saw an increase in MPG while running 93 vs 87. Did it completely make up for the fuel cost difference, No, but it offset it, and the cost per mile was very close.

For me it was a Win/win. More power, with little impact to my bottom line. Plus, looking at logging, FAR less KR(Knock Retard) events!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The thing is that where i live, we only have 91 as the highest tier. So I don't know if the win/win scenario like yours would would echo with my expy given the 91 octane.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I seem to be averaging 13-15 mpg driving around town. I'd rather have a few dollars in my pocket than save a few cents in gas mileage.

Granted, I will most likely top off or fill-up with premium when towing my camper. Those will be over longer distances (150+miles at a time).

Much like everything else in life, this is all personal preference.

Johnb21

Reaction score
Goodne
I seem to be averaging 13-15 mpg driving around town. I'd rather have a few dollars in my pocket than save a few cents in gas mileage.

Granted, I will most likely top off or fill-up with premium when towing my camper. Those will be over longer distances (150+miles at a time).

Much like everything else in life, this is all personal preference.
goodness gracious, your mpg is horrible. My commute is 25 miles and it takes me 1hr 10m, and my mpg is waaay better, not just on the dash, old school calculator. Idling kills mileage, as well as a heavy foot....we all know that. If I idle to warm up in the Boston area each day, it impacts mpg considerably. Every car I have owned....ok, now I am talking to much common sense..

btw - this whole octane conversation must have the hairs on Lokiwolf's back standing straight up. I feel for you Loki...tuned my turbo race car many times over the years...not that complicated. Doesn't matter what the exact hp # the dyno says, just if it is up or down on like conditions, same dyno....and pick your fuel or tune..
I am with Loki's analysis.

Johnb21

Reaction score
Not to be annoying, but I LOVE my start stop for all you haters out there. In my commute conditions it makes a big difference in mpg...and yes I care. Not so much when on track of course.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to be annoying, but I LOVE my start stop for all you haters out there. In my commute conditions it makes a big difference in mpg...and yes I care. Not so much when on track of course.

I have no issue with Start/Stop. Idling wastes fuel, if it doesn’t have a purpose.

It was just creepy the first time I was driving an F150 and it did it. You expected it on a fuel efficient Fusion, the 150 caught me off guard.

Now, I have no issue with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Goodne

goodness gracious, your mpg is horrible. My commute is 25 miles and it takes me 1hr 10m, and my mpg is waaay better, not just on the dash, old school calculator. Idling kills mileage, as well as a heavy foot....we all know that. If I idle to warm up in the Boston area each day, it impacts mpg considerably. Every car I have owned....ok, now I am talking to much common sense..

btw - this whole octane conversation must have the hairs on Lokiwolf's back standing straight up. I feel for you Loki...tuned my turbo race car many times over the years...not that complicated. Doesn't matter what the exact hp # the dyno says, just if it is up or down on like conditions, same dyno....and pick your fuel or tune..
I am with Loki's analysis.

When I am around town, I usually have 1-5 mile short trips. It kills the mpg even with auto start stop activated.

When I go further, I can easily get 18-20mpg. I have not run it on any real highway trips yet. I only picked mine up on Black Friday. It still a baby with only around 1700 miles.

Johnb21

Reaction score
When I am around town, I usually have 1-5 mile short trips. It kills the mpg even with auto start stop activated.

When I go further, I can easily get 18-20mpg. I have not run it on any real highway trips yet. I only picked mine up on Black Friday. It still a baby with only around 1700 miles.

Totally get it ....makes sense Lou.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The real question is why doesn't this "survey" ask about 87 octane? It says less than 87 or 88-89, etc. In my area 87 is an option.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I run mine back and forth to work and it is only 2 miles and my lifetime average is 18.9mpg! Seems ok to me, tow package gears help on the short trips.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run mine back and forth to work and it is only 2 miles and my lifetime average is 18.9mpg! Seems ok to me, tow package gears help on the short trips.

Interesting.

My lifetime mileage is 1668.8 with an avg. mpg of 14.7. All on 87 octane gas and ASS left on most of the time.