What makes a Bentley Special?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My uncle had a continental GT bought in 05’ had the W12 engine. He traded it in on a 2018 Mulsanne last year. The mulsanne is more luxurious and a low revver where the Contintantsl GT was more sporty. The naturally aspirated W12 in the Continental def sounded better and was more lively than the turbo v8 in the Mulsanne, I believe he’s said this himself. Obviously not a daily driver, that is his King Ranch Super Duty, the Bentley stays in the garage most of the time.

What makes them special is the quality, top notch everything and they last forever. His 05’ still looked a day old when he got rid of it and it had driven plenty of miles. Interiors are top notch with best leather and wood etc and they have crazy power. The Mulsanne prob weighs as much as a dually F-350.

Last edited:

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well
as a teenager who got to drive a certain bazillionaires personal cars regularly in the early 80's, as part of my many jobs for his company
(Maserati, jags, bentleys, ford, cheviys, caddies and rolls royce
bentleys were PLUSH and were fun to drive even then, with tons of power, i so enjoyed taking them on long drives to his south texas getaway ranch from dallas. OMG as a 18 year old it was beyond COOOOOOOOL roll up to a gas station (often) to fill her up... the looks and questions were off the charts.
rolls were smooth and felt under powered and were in the shop at least every few months for stupid stuff
i miss the smell of the leather, always smelled buttery .
i can only imagine now with the current owners of bentley that want the top dog to be the end all of luxury and power.

he was one a great guy to work for....then the savings and loan scammers got caught and he went to prison for 30 years,

his caddies flat SUCKED . i hated driving them, it was like riding in a red wagon after the bentleys

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well
as a teenager who got to drive a certain bazillionaires personal cars regularly in the early 80's, as part of my many jobs for his company
(Maserati, jags, bentleys, ford, cheviys, caddies and rolls royce
bentleys were PLUSH and were fun to drive even then, with tons of power, i so enjoyed taking them on long drives to his south texas getaway ranch from dallas. OMG as a 18 year old it was beyond COOOOOOOOL roll up to a gas station (often) to fill her up... the looks and questions were off the charts.
rolls were smooth and felt under powered and were in the shop at least every few months for stupid stuff
i miss the smell of the leather, always smelled buttery .
i can only imagine now with the current owners of bentley that want the top dog to be the end all of luxury and power.

he was one a great guy to work for....then the savings and loan scammers got caught and he went to prison for 30 years,

his caddies flat SUCKED . i hated driving them, it was like riding in a red wagon after the bentleys

Haha lol, Texas incarcerated your filthy rich boss for 30 years for white collar crime?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The FBI auctions of seized properties are listed in the Wall Street Journal every few months. Lots of Bentleys and Rolls every time...

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha lol, Texas incarcerated your filthy rich boss for 30 years for white collar crime?

lots more than a few savings and loan scams....he had people "hillaried"
he sold tracts of land to his friends, then they increased in value and he would give them money to buy the land back through shell companies.
he id this over and over, and never paid the loans or interest, but deducted the interest in his taxes.
then he screwed over a few Japanese land buyers with over inflated prices and shady loan deals. it took down lots of folks
here is your laugh, his bell helicopter jet ranger we flew all over in, always was serviced by dallas county police air unit
so the day his helicopter is due back from service he is scheduled to fly out to the ranch.
I had already left in truck with jeeps and hunting stuff.
his bird arrives at his private helicopter pad/building
gets refueled and loaded with his bags, he drives up in one of the rolls and goes in to say hey to the pilot.
right behind him US marshalls roll in and BAM he is arrested. Right after that, a few people suddenly turned up "hillaried" , folks couldnt line up fast enough to turn state evidence...you know brother bill was in on it to ..
i got to the ranch and was greeted by us marshalls. scared the crap out of when they told me what happened in dallas.
I thought oh crap i am going to die or go to jail.
thank God, I was just a peon and had never been involved other than moving rolling stock, fueling the helicopter and washing them all.
right after i left for the navy and never came back , never saw him again or spoke to him

he still owes me my last paycheck ???
sit down

a few years ago (8) i got a christmas card from him, and his family. he had been released and was dying at home....I about passed out when i saw the return address....i quickly looked up and down my street. IT SCARED the crap out of me, i didnt sleep and felt anytime i was going to get hillaried. this was the first time in my life i thought i was a dead man walking.

he had to search to find me..but the card was very nice and apologetic for any problems he may have caused me in the 80's
i guess he was making peace with his maker.

Last edited:

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not sure but my grandfather used to make money helping import them in the 1980’s.

He was a dual US/UK citizen and something about owning and driving them for a little while in the UK made import duties cheaper. He was an accountant for a car dealership. He would fly to the UK and buy one. Drive it for his vacation, drive it to the port and fly back. It would be imported and the dealership would sell it. His share was enough to pay for the month long vacation for my grandparents.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not sure but my grandfather used to make money helping import them in the 1980’s.

He was a dual US/UK citizen and something about owning and driving them for a little while in the UK made import duties cheaper. He was an accountant for a car dealership. He would fly to the UK and buy one. Drive it for his vacation, drive it to the port and fly back. It would be imported and the dealership would sell it. His share was enough to pay for the month long vacation for my grandparents.

Probably because it then qualified to be classed as used.