Wheel Bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine needs Passenger side Front Wheel bearing ,Ford tells me it only comes in a Hub assembly $310 is this true ???? Is there aftermarket ones that are better??? No bearing by itself??

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yep, just replaced both of mine a couple of weeks ago. The previous owner was nice enough to strip one of the bolt heads, so it was an hour with the saws-all to cut it off. Then you need to find a ford dealer with the bolt in stock, because you just can't go to the hardware store for a replacement.

I took the opportunity to put new pads and rotors on, you know, since it was all apart anyway. I think I paid just over $500 for the hubs, rotors, pads and brake hardware kit.

OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah so I order my assembly $310..do you guys know what size is the spindle nut
??? I think I'm going to have to buy that socket!!!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember I had to change my pass side last year... but I did it at my friends shop and used his tools...lol

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Have you used these bearings? How long have they lasted you?

I have bought the equivalent of these for another vehicle before. Timkin is the bearings that are in the OEM hubs

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/wheel-bearing-hub-front/Ford/Expedition/TKSHF00102/556378/1997

With other vehicles I have decided on the cheap parts plus brand bearings. The Timkens never lasted well for me even though they are a big name brand.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
THe spindle nut is 35mm. It should be torqued to 175 ft-lbs as I recall. So, when you go to break yours off, be ready to apply a lot of force. A good spray down with PB blaster may be recommended too before you go after it. I also find that if you can pop the center cap off of the wheel before you lift it up in the air and atleast get the spindle nut loose, it is much easier than trying to break it loose with the wheel removed.

I seem to recall paying around $150 each for my hub assemblies. I think one time I paid a little more, but then, I was also having it shipped to Hawaii on 2 day air.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
jrjr, i have never used these. Was just using as an example that there are cheaper alternatives to the Stealer. And they are made in the same region as the Motorcraft parts.