Why are 1st generation 5.4 Expeditions so reliable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sound great. Only problem I see is a solenoid acting up, due to Chinese or Mexico origins. If they used quality parts, highly unlikely, might be an option. I think all this is a moot point, as in probably about by 2040, none of the big 3, if their around, will be even using internal cumbustion engines. I think all electric, or a electric/ fusion type motor will probably be the norm of the day. Batteries that can go a 500 miles range will be standard. Charging stations will replace fuel, with a quick 10 minute charge up that gets you back a full charge.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Electric vehicles will never be the permanent answer. Lithium Ion is running out, charging and discharging a battery isn't as efficient as a gas engine, plus the grid can't handle all that load of electricity.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are plenty of Ecoboosts out there with lots of miles.

I have heard of plenty of others on a couple of forums with 250k+ on the Ecoboost motors.
I am hoping it is the same as my grand dad taught me “Take care of your tools and they will take care of you. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The 3.5 Ecoboost makes max torque at 2500 rpm vs. 5.0 Coyote at 3850 rpm. As a matter of fact it even has a shorter stroke than the 5.0 Coyote which means it has
Slower piston speeds per rpm. So in reality it actually doesn’t have to work as hard as the Coyote does to make power.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
The 3.5 Ecoboost makes max torque at 2500 rpm vs. 5.0 Coyote at 3850 rpm. As a matter of fact it even has a shorter stroke than the 5.0 Coyote which means it has
Slower piston speeds per rpm. So in reality it actually doesn’t have to work as hard as the Coyote does to make power.

I don’t know this to be true but the eco is dependent on turbos for their power. This in addition to direct injection is not my cup of tea. To each his own but for a truck a small v6 w forced induction to make power is a gas and weight saving strategy.

I’ve seen Ford service techs interviewed and asked which engine they prefer and is better and all chose the 5.0 over the eco.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know this to be true but the eco is dependent on turbos for their power. This in addition to direct injection is not my cup of tea. To each his own but for a truck a small v6 w forced induction to make power is a gas and weight saving strategy.

I’ve seen Ford service techs interviewed and asked which engine they prefer and is better and all chose the 5.0 over the eco.
I get it, to each their own. I love my V8 ‘s also. Just stating some facts about the Ecoboost that some don’t realize. I have a customer I work for that just bought a new 2018 2.3 4cyl Ecoboost Explorer. He replaced his 2014 2.3 Ecoboost Explorer because the electric steering went out and they wanted too much to fix it. It had 392,000 mi. and the engine still ran fine. Now I know he runs a lot of highway miles, but that’s still pretty good in my book. Let’s hope the 3.5 Ecoboost holds up as good. He never had any turbo problems either, just as most turbo diesels don’t either. I’d take my chances with an Ecoboost before I would with GM’s cylinder deactivation system. Also had a customer that had a Cadillac 4-6-8 back in the day,same concept, it was always in the shop. Maybe GM figured it out this time but that 4-6-8 Caddy engine was a disaster.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They aren’t building them quite as good now. The manufacturers have been cutting costs and corners while increasing prices fast. IMO they peaked on certain aspects of engine build quality in the 2010ish era for half tons and passanger vehicles. Now the main concern is making it lighter and more fuel efficient to meet these crazy standards that can’t be achieved. The 6.2 V8 in the super duty which isn’t subject to CAFE standards is vastly different from engines that are. Then again reliability is what it’s made for......Still has cast iron engine block and metallic parts vs aluminum and plastic parts. Just an example:

5.4 (Cast iron Block, Aluminum valve covers, Steel oil pan)

5.0 & EcoBoost (Aluminum block, plastic valve covers, plastic oil pan)

Not to say the new engines are bad, they are good. Just showing some of the cheap.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
They aren’t building them quite as good now. The manufacturers have been cutting costs and corners while increasing prices fast. IMO they peaked on certain aspects of engine build quality in the 2010ish era for half tons and passanger vehicles. Now the main concern is making it lighter and more fuel efficient to meet these crazy standards that can’t be achieved. The 6.2 V8 in the super duty which isn’t subject to CAFE standards is vastly different from engines that are. Then again reliability is what it’s made for......Still has cast iron engine block and metallic parts vs aluminum and plastic parts. Just an example:

5.4 (Cast iron Block, Aluminum valve covers, Steel oil pan)

5.0 & EcoBoost (Aluminum block, plastic valve covers, plastic oil pan)

Not to say the new engines are bad, they are good. Just showing some of the cheap.

What year 5.4?

blue oval guy

Reaction score
3 valve motors have cam phasers (not needed) a more aggressive EGR pumping into the intake and a few other things all in the interest of running "cleaner"
My 2 valve 04' has 188K miles and runs like a champ, i have had since it had 14K miles and the only failures i can think of were ignition lock cylinder, vaccum hose tree, power window switches and door latch innards (kids always playing with doors and windows) Nothing engine or powertrain related. Meticulous service and maintenance using only Motorcraft parts has played a role I'm sure..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire