Why are my rims hot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinw2345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am not sure if i am posting this in the right section so if not let me know. I am noticing that after i drive, my tires are really hot. I drove to the car wash today and while washing it i noticed steam coming from my tires. I touched the rim and it was really hot. I also smelt a little bit of melting rubber kinda. Starting to get tired of doing all these repairs on my expy lol. Any help is appreciated.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when you apply your brakes there is friction being made to slow down the expy. a by product of friction is heat. your rims are hot from your brakes. mine get real hot if i go for long drives and there are hills or if im in stop and go traffic. its normal. if you dont like all the heat upgrade to drilled and slotted rotors. they will dissipate the heat better. and youll have better stopping power.

OP
OP
kevinw2345

kevinw2345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when you apply your brakes there is friction being made to slow down the expy. a by product of friction is heat. your rims are hot from your brakes. mine get real hot if i go for long drives and there are hills or if im in stop and go traffic. its normal. if you dont like all the heat upgrade to drilled and slotted rotors. they will dissipate the heat better. and youll have better stopping power.

Alright i know i have been looking online and it says i could have trailing brakes where they are not retracting all the way when i let off the brakes and they are just sliding on the disk or w.e. Anyways Thanks Panda

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it all 4 wheels? Bad wheel bearings can also make the rims hot too, but I would think that would be just one or 2 wheels (All 4 going bad at once would be rare). Drive around for a bit without using any heavy braking and see if it continues. If so, I would check dragging brakes first, then wheel bearings. If it doesn't seem too hot, then it could just be your normal driving habit uses heavy braking, thus causing excessive heat.

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
has your gas milage gone down by 3 or 4 mpg? when my caliper froze, there was grinding noise and immediate loss in mpg........ you probably dont have that problem, but you probably have some kind of friction with either the rim (or lesser chance, the tire)............ aftermarket rims?

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like sticking brakes, if it is all 4 wheels look to see if the booster is keeping pressure on the mastercyl, i had that once on a sport trac.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are "just" hot, that is probably the normal heat they give off. If you try and touch the wheel and peel skin off they are so hot, then you probably have a caliper hanging up.