Why does Ford still use such wimpy brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a good article, thanks for that. I never looked at it that way but mathematically makes proper sense. The smaller the pistons, the less surface area.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can lock the wheels on a dry surface, the brakes are not the limiting factor. I haven't tried it...maybe someone else can do so and report back.

Plati

Reaction score
If you can lock the wheels on a dry surface, the brakes are not the limiting factor. I haven't tried it...maybe someone else can do so and report back.
Can't ever lock brakes with anti-lock brakes, unless the brakes are broken badly?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't stand 4 piston calipers. I even prefer one over two.
Keep it simple and cheap.

I don't know what a person is used to driving if they find any newer (or any typical operational brake system for that matter) not completely adequate.

I guess if you drive a Corvette or performance car and drive it hard...which is abnormal for normal cars on the street, then you might think a 6000lb truck didn't stop as well!!!

I have had no complaints at all about any factory vehicle I have ever driven. I have no need to hammer the brakes and if I need to stop abruptly, they do just fine.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Hey Flex.... thank you for the comparison of stopping distances. My 2000 always felt more nimble than my '08. but your chart shows they are similar. I guess it's just the difference in pedal feeling... Nope, haven't rear-ended anyone yet. With a 5,000 pound truck I keep my distance.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't ever lock brakes with anti-lock brakes, unless the brakes are broken badly?

Hehe I don’t recommend but if you get it up to 50 and put the brake pedal to the floor.....that ABS system squirms....she will skid. When you apply that kind of braking force at higher speeds ABS reaches its limits. Purely dangerous as traction is gone.

I take my part for the accident. I wasn’t as far back as I should have been at that hour of the night, the driver in front of me was clearly intoxicated (I should have kept away) moreso seeing that. I certainly learned to follow further back at all times from that fiasco.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hehe I don’t recommend but if you get it up to 50 and put the brake pedal to the floor.....that ABS system squirms....she will skid. When you apply that kind of braking force at higher speeds ABS reaches its limits. Purely dangerous as traction is gone.

I take my part for the accident. I wasn’t as far back as I should have been at that hour of the night, the driver in front of me was clearly intoxicated (I should have kept away) moreso seeing that. I certainly learned to follow further back at all times from that fiasco.

I feel sorry for you for that one. The other guys drunk can you get the ticket for hitting him. Ironic but still very unfair.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel sorry for you for that one. The other guys drunk can you get the ticket for hitting him. Ironic but still very unfair.

Oh no I didn’t get anything, he got fines up the *****. He fled the scene and got hammered for wreckless driving and fleeing the scene of an accident, I got a friendly reminder to steer clear of dumb*sses is all.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh no I didn’t get anything, he got fines up the *****. He fled the scene and got hammered for wreckless driving and fleeing the scene of an accident, I got a friendly reminder to steer clear of dumb*sses is all.
That's excellent! And damn lucky too except the fact that your vehicle got dinged up.

Last edited: