Why does Ford still use such wimpy brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t most manufacturers moved to 4 pistons on the front with bigger pads for 1/2 tons in the last 2 decades? My passenger side front seized up so this morning I hunted down one I could find in stock today at NAPA....no dealers locally had stock. Doesn’t seem like much brake for the weight they have to stop. Seems to be well built and good corrosion protection but it seems the OE overall design could have been heavier duty.

0495C10C-166C-43AB-BBAA-2694545AF3C9.jpeg

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I don't like the brakes on the 3d Gen trucks at all. Was so concerned with them that I replaced everything with new Motorcraft stuff. Better, but still a bit concerning. Hard to believe they use these in police work. Feels like my 2000 had much better brakes with shorter stopping distances.

Plati

Reaction score
I wonder what the benefit of 2 pistons would be, from an Engineering basis? The hydraulic pressure from the brake line doesn't change so that pressure would simply be split between 2 calipers vs one … resulting in the exact same force on the brake pad? New caliper has double the number of pistons so doubled probability of failure. No longer centered piston so if one is weaker you have unbalanced pad pressure, would not be best. What is the benefit? Do you still use the same pads?

not a slam, a fair question, kind of Negative Nancy I guess but interested

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If 60-to-0 braking feet distance is a measurement of Expedition braking ability, the below are results from various magazine testing:

2000 = 139'
2003 = 140'
2007 = 135'
2015 = 147'
2018 = 129'

You'll find plenty of slight variances on the web, plus or minus 1-2 feet.

By ways of comparison, 2017 consumer reports mass produced vehicle best and worst:

Corvette Stingray 3LT = 107'
Porsche 911 Carrera S 108'

Toyota Tundra SR5 = 153'
Jeep Wrangler Sahara = 157'

If you find the Expedition brakes inadequate, and if you've also recently rear-ended somebody, you might want to rethink following distances. :)

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to say the 19 Expedition I rented did have a much tighter brake feel than my 17. I didn't pull a wheel off to see what they have for brakes.

My 17 is fine, I never feel unsafe while stopping even pulling a 6,000 lb trailer. I adjust my stopping distances for what I am driving. Heck I really don't know what kind of brakes the 17 has either. LOL

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the benefit of 2 pistons would be, from an Engineering basis? The hydraulic pressure from the brake line doesn't change so that pressure would simply be split between 2 calipers vs one … resulting in the exact same force on the brake pad? New caliper has double the number of pistons so doubled probability of failure. No longer centered piston so if one is weaker you have unbalanced pad pressure, would not be best. What is the benefit? Do you still use the same pads?

not a slam, a fair question, kind of Negative Nancy I guess but interested

This is an OE style from NAPA, the stock calipers on my ‘07 are 2 piston same style as pictured on the new unit.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear someone say the Ford brakes are wimpy. I don't think anyone has gone to four piston calipers on regular builds, but I could be wrong. That's more of a performance thing. If you've ever had to panic stop with a 3rd gen Expy towing a 10k lb trailer, as long as the brakes are in proper working order, I don't think you'd say they're wimpy. I've found them to be plenty beefy.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toyota uses a 4 piston setup on many from what I’ve read in the past. Here is a set of Tundra calipers. They look a lot more up to the task than ours:

34E84F78-0D68-4344-A6F3-577E57245BEA.jpeg

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If 60-to-0 braking feet distance is a measurement of Expedition braking ability, the below are results from various magazine testing:

2000 = 139'
2003 = 140'
2007 = 135'
2015 = 147'
2018 = 129'

You'll find plenty of slight variances on the web, plus or minus 1-2 feet.

By ways of comparison, 2017 consumer reports mass produced vehicle best and worst:

Corvette Stingray 3LT = 107'
Porsche 911 Carrera S 108'

Toyota Tundra SR5 = 153'
Jeep Wrangler Sahara = 157'

If you find the Expedition brakes inadequate, and if you've also recently rear-ended somebody, you might want to rethink following distances. :)

I was a few car lengths back, that doesn’t do much on a state road going 55 MPH when a drunk driver slams on the brakes and decelerates to 0 on a dime. My truck went into a skid and had zero braking power so it’s not the brakes fault in that instance. No reason to be rude though.

It seems piston #s don’t matter, since the tundra scored terribly on the results you posted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01