Windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nate03

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I never really noticed it until this week when the sun was actually out. Here in the midwest the weather has sucked. Anyway, I read on another forum for F150s and also on a Fusion forum that you take one of those promotional fake credit cards, cut it in half diagonally, put a lint free eyeglass cloth on it and clean the inside of the tracks fairly regularly right along the windows. They said you would be amazed at what you find. I guess I will start doing that and have to live with the scratches that are already there. I just don't know why they haven't fixed that design flaw. Looking under the rubber flap you can see it directs dirt to the window crevice. Dumb. Never had this issue on another brand. Some people said they got the scratches on day one of ownership and Ford won't cover it, but some dealers stepped up. Not many though.

Hoffy

Reaction score
I noticed for the first time on my 2017 that there are two 6”-8” fine scratches on the drivers side glass. Apparently debris in the gasket caused this and not to happy about it.

I inspected two other vehicles I own and what I discovered is that the gaskets are very tight to the glass. So tight that it is difficult to pull away from the glass. With my Expedition the seals have about an 1/8” space between the glass and gasket.

In my opinion this is a very poor design on Fords part. Debris can easily get trapped in the opening and thus cause the scratches. My other vehicles are a 2004 & 2008. No scratches on any of the windows.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suspect the problem isn't so much Ford as it is cheap Chinese glass. I just replaced a windshield on my almost-new truck and I discovered through that process that auto glass these days is very easy to scratch compared to years past. It's lighter, flimsier, and cheaper than ever before -- at least according to the glass guys. They aren't complaining though, because it keeps them busy!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suspect the problem isn't so much Ford as it is cheap Chinese glass. I just replaced a windshield on my almost-new truck and I discovered through that process that auto glass these days is very easy to scratch compared to years past. It's lighter, flimsier, and cheaper than ever before -- at least according to the glass guys. They aren't complaining though, because it keeps them busy!

I have Chinese brand glass on my bimmer.

Guess what? Chinese name.... MADE IN US

In any case, really don't see how it could suck any more than the BMW Pilkerton (sp?) Glass

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An assumption is being made that its a design issue by Ford. I suggest that those scratches may be caused by any step in the process of handling that piece of glass, from manufacturer to the day you purchase the vehicle. Its quite possible those scratches, or lines, were put on the glass the day it was made.

Can anyone say, in all honesty, that there were no scratches on the glass when they purchased the vehicle? Secondly, I have noticed those same vertical lines on my windows....after a few minutes of close inspection and lining up the right viewing angle. Thirdly, would you not purchase a car because of those lines?

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can vouch that these scratches are not from the factory. My 2015 just did this the other day. Rear window scratched when I rolled it down. Dust in the seal. Super dumb. I’ll take a pic tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro