Wont down shift into “passing gear”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What’s going on everyone. So here’s my problem. I was driving on the highway today going 70-75mph and i went WOT but the transmission only dropped out of overdrive to accelerate. Normally it would drop another gear and rev all the way to 4K-5k rpms and then shift. From a dead stop 0-80 mph WOT everything revs and shifts fine. I can tell the power is there. Is there anything to check?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I know there's a speed over which it won't downshift. You may well be over that. I'm just supposing here. I drove a 2000 for years in pursuit use and there was indeed a speed where it would no longer downshift.

This stuff used to be in the shop manuals, but lately those manuals are more and more pinpoint tests and how to replace parts with very little about operating specs.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check to see if your throttle cable has stretched too much. You might be mashing the pedal to WOT but the throttle plate is only at 75%.

Simple to check. Zip ties at the top of the gas pedal to fix.

OP
OP
00XTL

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats good idea. I have a basic scan tool so ill check to see what the TPS reads at WOT. I know very little about transmissions so my brain tends to shut down when i diagnose it. It’s worth mentioning that i did have a bunch of work done on the engine but i don’t know if that would effect the trans. Thanks for the feed back

OP
OP
00XTL

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know there's a speed over which it won't downshift. You may well be over that. I'm just supposing here. I drove a 2000 for years in pursuit use and there was indeed a speed where it would no longer downshift.

This stuff used to be in the shop manuals, but lately those manuals are more and more pinpoint tests and how to replace parts with very little about operating specs.

I know what your talking about and I’m not sure what the speed is. But I’ve been driving this thing for years and at 75mph i could floor it and wind out the motor and it would go as fast as an expedition would go. I just looked at my scan tool at wot and its reading 4.6 volts.