Would you buy this '18 Limited Max?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cobalt_boater

Reaction score
I have been searching for a 4th Gen Max with the HD Trailer Pkg. I found this 2018 Limited Max. It is a 1-owner with 61k miles (out of warranty) and I got them down to $50k. In addition to the HD Trailer Pkg., it has the LED Headlights, 360 View, 22" Wheels, Captains Chairs and Sunroof. This is the perfect spec for me, but I would prefer to get one with a little less miles and a warranty if possible.

The CarFax shows a gap in the first 20k miles, but then regular oil changes and service at the Ford Dealer where it was sold. I called that Ford dealer and they told me at 50k miles the Timing system failed. They said they replaced the Timing Chain, Water Pump and other accessories, and rebuilt the top end. They also said that I should not be concerned because everything was fixed with factory parts under warranty.

The owner drove it another 10k miles and then traded it in to a Toyota dealer. I was planning on flying down tomorrow to drive it 5 hours home, but just found out about the Timing Chain incident today. I am considering still going, and taking it to the same Ford dealer 30 minutes away for an inspection.

Can anyone lend any advice on this issue, and would you buy this truck?

Untitled.png

Window Sticker.png

bws2015

Reaction score
You can go to their website lombard ford warrantys and enter all the info and it will give you pricing, I just did this on a 2015 and it was pretty painless.

bws2015

Reaction score
If you go on there and put your email, they will send you a promo code for a cheaper price, I just looked for you and without the promo it was roughly 2500 for the premium care for 48,000 miles or 5 years which would cover you until 109,000, pretty much a bumper to bumper ford warranty.

bws2015

Reaction score
3 year 60000 for about 2500 as well, which would cover you until 120k miles

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a three year old truck whose engine has been torn down. I wouldn't trust the quality of the work. But if the price reflected that extra risk, I might consider.

If you do choose to buy it and back it up with a Ford warranty, make absolutely certain that the work was done by Ford with Ford parts and that you can prove it if needed for the warranty.

Last edited:

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its tough since its really down to the quality of the work by the technician. On the positive side, most timing repairs wont go very long if done wrong so at least the 10,000 miles after the fact and that it was done with factory parts at a dealer is a good sign. After all, just about all these 3.5's look like they eat sprockets and everyone will need them eventually, some on the second, third and even higher set of replacements. My vehicle had all 4x sprockets done at 43k and its been fine since and still great at 66k. The water pump was not done with the sprockets and I needed to do that at 64k so good that this car had it replaced (they seem to be very hit and miss on these engines). Look for oil leaks when you see it and don't be afraid to ask if they can put it on a lift for you to see its dry underneath in the engine area and not leaking fluids which is another sign that the job was not done well. Start it cold when there to be sure there's no rattles from the engine when warming up but don't be surprised if you do hear some rattling and it means another set is needed. The other good thing is that you are most likely covered by the 21N03 program which extends the Warranty for the timing components but it does have customer contribution to the repair by mileage and most likely wont cover if a previous dealer performed a bad job. That might require you to speak with Ford corporate if that happened. Good luck!

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a three year old truck whose engine has been torn down. I wouldn't trust the quality of the work. But if the price reflected that extra risk, I might consider.

If you do choose to buy it and back it up with a Ford warranty, make absolutely certain that the work was done by Ford with Ford parts.
I couldn't agree more. If down the road you have an engine failure that causes them to open it up and they find a non Ford part in there you are screwed. Get the copy of the RO for the repair it should have the part numbers on it.

Having said that, I believe it is tooo much money for tooo many miles and an engine repair.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Having said that, I believe it is tooo much money for tooo many miles and an engine repair.
I would tend to agree. However, it seems that prices are not ‘normal’ at the moment and are overinflated, so don’t know what a good price is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccky