XL Model -- Can I bolt in missing 3rd Row, any other quirks to watch out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at an XL model for the first time. These have no center console, they're column shift, and there is no third row of seats. I happen to have a complete set of spare seats, so I am considering it. Does it come with tapped holes in the body for installing the 3rd row? If not, I would imagine it would be MUCH harder to get those safely installed.

For anyone who has or has had one of these models, is there anything else I should look out for? I currently have an XLT with basically nothing on it, so it doesn't seem much different.

Thanks! :)

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m probably the only person on this forum who actually wishes my ‘15 EL Limited had column shift and no Center console. Because we travel so much as a family of four in our truck, my wife has to crawl back there while we are under way all the time and that huge console is a bear to climb over. In a lot of minivans there’s no console, just a tray that can drop down so you can walk to the back of the van. I do believe your truck has the holes for bolting the third row...from other posts I’ve read on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ebasista

Reaction score
You have the holes, however they are not tapped. You can either buy the self tapping bolts or get a metric tap and tap them out. I bought a complete leather interior with bolts and belts and ended up using a tap from harbor freight to do it. One caveat is you'll have to install the shoulder belts in the rear so it requires careful cutting of the plastic

Knox GSL

Reaction score
I’m probably the only person on this forum who actually wishes my ‘15 EL Limited had column shift and no Center console. Because we travel so much as a family of four in our truck, my wife has to crawl back there while we are under way all the time and that huge console is a bear to climb over. In a lot of minivans there’s no console, just a tray that can drop down so you can walk to the back of the van. I do believe your truck has the holes for bolting the third row...from other posts I’ve read on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No, I wish I had a column shift and bench in mine.

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I knew you'd have the answer. I had some trouble with the Search feature because it wouldn't let me search for "XL." I had to get creative but I did eventually find quite a few other threads on this subject. Apparently, a lot of people like me are/were considering these SSV trucks and had the exact same question about the third row seats.

Fortunately, one fellow did the install and said it is actually very easy. Yes, the holes are there and yes, they are not tapped. BUT, Ford made the seat belt bolts to be SELF-TAPPING. I was very glad to hear this! It means you don't need to tap the holes in order to properly install the seats.

One thing to keep in mind: You must have ALL the parts and hardware to install the outboard shoulder belts. The way these install is different between "shorty" and EL models. I found an EL SSV truck for sale in Arkansas that obviously had a 3rd row seat installed after the fact because whoever did it installed the seat belts incorrectly. Don't be like this person!

Take a good look at the attached photos. Can you spot the problem? The shoulder belts are bolted to the "D" pillar. That's correct for a "shorty" Expedition. But, the EL models have the shoulder belts anchored much farther forward. The correct arrangement is also attached.

3rdRow--SeatBeltMounting--WRONG1.jpg 3rdRow--SeatBeltMounting--WRONG2.jpg

3rdRow--SeatBeltMounting--CORRECT2.jpg

3rdRow--SeatBeltMounting--CORRECT1.jpg

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS The area where the seat belt enters the lower quarter trim panel is a separate part that can be purchased new from Ford. So, there's no need to cut a "slot" in the existing panel. Doing that could possibly damage the seat belt anyway if you're not careful, so probably not a good idea. . .

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I like the split bench seat too. It was last offered on the 08, with the column shifter but not available with a sunroof. I wonder how many of those they sold? Only saw one.

The SSV's were generally sold with the standard cloth buckets, no console and the column shift.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, self tapping & easy, best get seatbelts and trim pieces from donor vehicle. Dont forget the bolts.

Walkway is nice, putting in captains or bench without the middle seat in the 2nd row makes it even nicer