ZF5 S-47M 5 Speed Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plan on using ZF5 S-47M(M stands for the 5.4L and 6.8L engines) transmission and a new transfer case a NV271 for those who are interested in doing the swap there will be a detailed parts lists as well as many photos of the swap.
Parts I needed
The clutch pedal assembly from a manual 97-03 F150 and black out thing dash and the plastic steering column part as well as the grommet in the fire wall and the interior shift boots. Four on the floor is possible as the trans hump is stamped for both.
Clutch Kit for the 5.4L I used an Excedy 07144
Flywheel for manual transmission I used a Luk LFW152
Clutch Fork Ford #5C3Z7515A
Misc. plastic thing that goes on the clutch #dorman 14049
Slave and Master Cylinder come as a pre-bled kit and it’s an external slave!
I'd recommend ordering a full clutch and flywheel kit as one with all the bolts as I have to buy mine separately but no big deal. The top end of the transmission if you can find a donor that’s the best if you can’t you will need Shift Tower, Lever, Ball, and Shift Boots make all the difference in road noise in the cab unless you have no carpet and cut downpipes like me then who cares about road noise.
Also need new driveshaft’s are required as well.
You can do an ESOF Elimination like me very easily at the same time, if the NV 271 fits right like I hope ill be so happy to have four on the floor and the five speed.
EDIT
Any questions you guys have I'd be happy to answer to best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep us posted!
I would give my left, uhhhh, arm to swap a manual into my Expy.
Just one question, why the ZF5 instead of the ZF6? I would rather have the ZF6 only because of the compound low 1st and reverse. But having driven multiple Ford trucks with the M50D 5 speed, the lack of compound low gears would not be a big deal.
Beins I have a '98 Expy, I would prefer to keep my transfer case. The options of 2wd/A4WD/4hi/4low would be killer. And from what my research tells me, the ZF5/6 are the same length as my slush box with the same 31spline output shaft and bolt pattern.
What is your plan for reflashing the computer to work with the manual tranny?

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ZF6 is taller and would need a body lift to work..The first gear on the ZF5 is like 5.08 so its pretty deep as well. The transfercase you could use your BW4406 if its a 31 spline but im not sure.. The NV271 has deeper ratios and can take more torque than the 4406 and the 271 is a for sure match to the ZF tranny thats why I chose that set up.. as for computers hoping to just disconnect all the auto stuff in park and since it has no rev limiter i should be able to at least drive it to somewhere if it needs a reflash if it runs and drives fine then i dont plan on doing anything with the computers

Last edited:
OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found out the transmission from smartparts doesn't need the shift tower it came with one so I guess some companies have them already installed. The shift lever the year is irrelevant and same with the shift selector they are all the same.
EDIT

Last edited:

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 7277 part?

RenderIllustration.ashx

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the linkage that also changes gears. I think I found one on ebay I had the best luck finding one there

Last edited:
OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Transmissions is here Transfer case is here too hope to start work on pulling the old trans on Friday. The transfer case came without output flanges for the drive shafts and was also missing all the parts to shift the T case so got to run to the junk yard after I install all this and I got a quote for $130 to cut and rebalance my old drive shaft with the changed companion flange from a slip yoke on the driveshaft..... Got the automatic out and dropped the transmission mount off the automatic matched right up to the manual which is cool but I lost a day of work due to tracking a blown up NV271 down to get the flanges off it but got those now. The NV271 isn't to much bigger than the BW4406 but in my opinion the 4406 is heavier than the 271 when I picked them up and they are actually pretty close in size too so I'm thinking the swap is going to go well in relation to the previous concerns I had.
EDIT
I'm going to try and get it installed tomorrow as far as I know you should be able to run your 4406 behind the zf5 but I will see if they match up
EDIT
Ok trans and transfer case are mounted and it turns out you will need an f150 clutch push rod in to the master cylinder the super duty one is to short. The manual flywheel bolts also need to be changed because they are 6mm longer than the automatic bolts

Last edited:

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any update on this project?
I found myself a ZF5 locally and am starting to make a shopping list.

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any update on this project?
I found myself a ZF5 locally and am starting to make a shopping list.

So far they trans and t case are mounted and i had to re-mount and re-drill the trans crossmember a few inches forward so if thats a deal breaker on the swap for you guys, then i wouldnt advise this. I will put the photos up of what i have so far. the truck is still yet to be started and i have some other issues with the electrics just because of how i treated the truck to this point.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I got my tranny!!!
Complete ZF5 with flyweel, old clutch set (will be replacing), and throwout bearing. Tranny includes shift tower AND rubber booty!
Now the part to make you all jealous, $150.

Shopping list is pretty short. Master, slave, pedals, and clutch fork. The pedals are going to be the hard part, I can tell already....