How About a 2015 to present thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got confirmation my JMS BoostMax will work on my 17, and they have updated their website.

That's some great information Loki for the guys looking for some reasonable cost/power increases. I am familiar enough with JMS to know they are also a quality firm to deal with.

Since you have experience with the JMS, and I don't believe in reinventing the wheel, I'd like to ask a couple of questions. Since it appears to be one of those units that only "fools" the TIP and MAP sensors, we should probably clarify to the others that it isn't the same as a full tune(which would compensate with added fueling across the rpm's etc)but that doesn't make it junk either.

I read where a couple of the guys that had installed it found that after the stock system "learned" the JMS, the output wasn't as high as it was immediately after the install. Can you either verify they are correct or confirm that they aren't and that the power increase remains even some time later?

Also, with a new truck, some members, me included would be hesitant to install anything that Ford may want to blame should something fail. I've read many places that refer to the Boostmax as "warranty friendly" but Ford wasn't the author of any of them. To me, and I don't claim to be an expert but I would thing that the stock system would show & store max boost pressures and my concern would be that Ford might take issue with that. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Not trying to nail you to a cross, just want your thoughts on it.

jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, there are a couple of firms out there posting some pretty impressive increases to your '16 3.5 twin turbo.....the only one I would trust however is Livernois Motorsports.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631125

go here and click the Product Information tab....you'll be very happy! "Gains of over 84hp and 84tq on your otherwise stock vehicle"

This product is only for the 2015 and 2016 models so we with the 2017's will have to wait...for now!

Just keep in mind HOW they are getting the increased power. Ford has sucessfully dealt with "turbo-lag" by reducing the size of the exhaust headers to promote higher velocity charge hitting the turbos. Raising boost means raising power BUT raising power ALWAYS means raising the latent heat. Raising heat of course brings a whole new range of issues which the Ford engineers did not have to account for since they were working with less power/less heat. Just be sure to investigate and downhill issues that the "tuning company" isn't so worried aobut when trying to extract higher levels of power.

As an example, I own a two-seater factory supercharged Mercedes that I modified by installing a larger crank pulley to spin the supercharger faster. The end result was a boost increase from 8PSI to 11PSI netting me about 35 BHP. Not bad for $870. or about 25 bucks per brake horsepower and no noticeable increase in heat from the engine which had a very good heat-shedding system of intercooler/radiators.

The increases stated for the 2016 Expy of 84 HP are almost surely crank HP which would equate to approx 70BHP if the drivetrain loses around 16% or 17%....which are good numbers but 70BHP also translates into a lot of added heat that must be shed....just keep that in mind and definitely post your results if you decide to take the plunge!!

jeff

Curious how you're spinning the blower faster on your Mercedes and didn't produce more heat? I have a CTSV and changed just the upper pulley and it produced a lot more heat. I had to upgrade my heat exchanger/intercooler and intercooler pump to flow more coolant so I could keep my IATs under control.
That's some great information Loki for the guys looking for some reasonable cost/power increases. I am familiar enough with JMS to know they are also a quality firm to deal with.

Since you have experience with the JMS, and I don't believe in reinventing the wheel, I'd like to ask a couple of questions. Since it appears to be one of those units that only "fools" the TIP and MAP sensors, we should probably clarify to the others that it isn't the same as a full tune(which would compensate with added fueling across the rpm's etc)but that doesn't make it junk either.

I read where a couple of the guys that had installed it found that after the stock system "learned" the JMS, the output wasn't as high as it was immediately after the install. Can you either verify they are correct or confirm that they aren't and that the power increase remains even some time later?

Also, with a new truck, some members, me included would be hesitant to install anything that Ford may want to blame should something fail. I've read many places that refer to the Boostmax as "warranty friendly" but Ford wasn't the author of any of them. To me, and I don't claim to be an expert but I would thing that the stock system would show & store max boost pressures and my concern would be that Ford might take issue with that. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Not trying to nail you to a cross, just want your thoughts on it.

jeff

Livernoise is the only place I'm interested in. But I to am worried about a Warranty. I must say I'm impressed with the stock power delivery of this motor more and more every day. And I love love love the self load leveling suspension. Pulled this load around all day Saturday like it was nothing.
IMG_4660_zpsjzw1el5r.jpg

IMG_4660_zpsjzw1el5r.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed the oil in my 17 today for the first time and man what a pain in the ass. First oil change was supposed to be on the dealer but I hate going to the dealer because I just don't trust others to service my vehicle. I like knowing what needed to get done got done. Anyways removing the felt panel to get to the drain plug is annoying. Then the location of the oil filter is a little odd and kinda difficult to reach. With some tricky arm placement I was able to get in there and get it off. Good thing is when you loosen the filter it drains perfectly out of this opening in the skid plate and really keeps the mess down. I've probably done a 1000 oil changes in different cars over the years and this was definitely one of the more difficult ones I've done.

Is it me or are these Ecoboost motors loud? Mine is a noisy thing. It runs great but at idle this thing makes a lot of engine noise. Was hoping this oil change with a good synthetic would quiet it down some but it didn't seem to help

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Working backwards from your posts.....if new oil HAD quieted your engine significantly, it ONLY could have meant something was very, very wrong with it so as long as all the sound shields are in place, it's about as quiet as it's going to get. I never noticed that it seems to be loud and I'm pretty sure that all the '17s come with the Soundscreen glass but maybe you used to drive something really quiet so the comparison is different?? Maybe like coming from a luxury car to a truck?

I got my oil changed this past Friday evening....and did a first. After doing all my own maintenance on my cars since I was 17, I called the local Grease&Go. I spoke with the guy and asked him what kind of synth oil they use. When it wasn't Mobile 1 he said that if I already have my own, I can bring it down and they would use it, filter too. So I hopped back in the truck and was there in two minutes. 34 bucks later, I had nice clean oil, got my 3.5 qts back from the 2nd jug and was happy as hell that I didn't have to mess with it. You are 100% right, it's a royal pain and once I saw what was necessary, that the "system" was designed to do from a lift of a trench, I decided that it's better to pay someone 34 bucks to do it. They evidently wiped the channels in the bottom covers well because not a drop on my driveway, hours after I got home when they were done. Of course I did check my oil level as soon as I got....trust but verify with those guys.

You are also right to be worried about warranty...they make claims of being "warranty friendly" but do NOT claim that Ford will honor your factory warranty. Ford WILL be able to tell you had it, even if you remove it before going to a dealer since all the boost info is stored, among other things in the ECU. I have decided that it makes plenty of power for me and I own a garage full of motorcycles so if I have an urge to go a bit fast, a ride on one of my two stroke street bike always cures that itch. It just isn't worth it to me to take a chance for a truck that I actually have payments on. Each to his/her own though so if someone else does decide to take the plunge, I'd love to know how it works out...it's just not for me, that's all.

I probably didn't clarify very well about spooling up my supercharger on my car...of course a roots supercharger will produce much more heat at higher spin speeds but the mercedes had so much over-engineering built in that I honestly never noticed any difference at all...either in feeling the heat with the hood up, the temp of the coolant or in the power produced...it remained hot or cold. Had the heat been unable to be shed, it would have had a drop in power as the intercooler got too hot....but no difference, just a nice bump in overall power.

jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the 2018's are out. I for one am not a fan of the look. They look like a big Explorer. They gained some size and lost some weight and as I thought are getting the 3.5 with the 375/470 numbers. Towing capacity stays the same so all in all that doesn't make me feel bad about the 365/420 mine has. Looks like they lost a shifter and replaced it with a knob. That I definitely don't like. Not sure what I think about the interior yet with the new gauges and what not. But all in all its a nice refresh and a good start for a 4th gen

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2007 to the 2017 are grouped as a 3rd gen and just had face lifts same body/ frame
the 4th gen had a major body/frame change

espeed

Reaction score
I have owned my 16 Limited for over a year now. I only use 93 octane and have installed a K&N cold air tube assembly. It has a noticeably more robust throttle response and fuel mileage has increased by almost 2 mpg. I researched the Navigators and albeit both Expy and Navi are basically the same platform, the Navi is rated at 380 HP and 460 lb/ft vs. the Expy at 365 HP 420lb/ft. Plus you can get the Navi with 4:10 rear gear vs. the Expy's 3:73's. Towing is rated the same at 9000 for each. I drove both and you can't tell the difference, tho the Navi interior is more upscale. I asked my service manager at the dealership that I purchased my Expy if it would be feasible/cost effective to do mod upgrades, i.e. bolt ons, tuning, etc., and his response was unless its endorsed specifically by Ford, you will run the risk of voiding the warranty if something blows. Since I purchased this beast with a 150,000 mile warranty add-on, the K&N is about as far as I'm willing to go.
By the way, my last Expy was a 13 Limited, and the differences between the two both technically and mechanically are nite and day. The suspension on the 16 is CCD, the steering (EAPS), and the 3.5 engine alone make it a different vehicle than the old 5.4 version last used on the 14's. As far as the 3.5 engine noise, even at WOT it doesn't make as much noise as my 13 with the 5.4. Only thing I'm still not quite used to is the exhaust note on the 3.5; it just can't equal the 5.4.

OP
OP

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have owned my 16 Limited for over a year now. I only use 93 octane and have installed a K&N cold air tube assembly. It has a noticeably more robust throttle response and fuel mileage has increased by almost 2 mpg. I researched the Navigators and albeit both Expy and Navi are basically the same platform, the Navi is rated at 380 HP and 460 lb/ft vs. the Expy at 365 HP 420lb/ft. Plus you can get the Navi with 4:10 rear gear vs. the Expy's 3:73's. Towing is rated the same at 9000 for each. I drove both and you can't tell the difference, tho the Navi interior is more upscale. I asked my service manager at the dealership that I purchased my Expy if it would be feasible/cost effective to do mod upgrades, i.e. bolt ons, tuning, etc., and his response was unless its endorsed specifically by Ford, you will run the risk of voiding the warranty if something blows. Since I purchased this beast with a 150,000 mile warranty add-on, the K&N is about as far as I'm willing to go.
By the way, my last Expy was a 13 Limited, and the differences between the two both technically and mechanically are nite and day. The suspension on the 16 is CCD, the steering (EAPS), and the 3.5 engine alone make it a different vehicle than the old 5.4 version last used on the 14's. As far as the 3.5 engine noise, even at WOT it doesn't make as much noise as my 13 with the 5.4. Only thing I'm still not quite used to is the exhaust note on the 3.5; it just can't equal the 5.4.

I was curious if anybody had installed an intake and if it was a worthy mod or not. I think I may try one out and hopefully get the same results you did. I to got an extended warranty so there probably wont be any tuning in the near future for me. This thing seems to pull my 35' toy hauler pretty good so I'm happy with the power it makes now.

As far as my comment on engine noise. People seem to think I'm trying to compare it with a V8. I'm aware they sound nothing a like and not what I meant. At idle standing outside the truck, the engine seems to have a lot of valvetrain noise. Lots of ticking like you'd here from lifters and what not. Just curious if anybody else's sounded that way. I was at the dealer for something a week or two ago and asked a salesman buddy of mine up there to start one of the expys out on the lot up so I could listen to it and it seems to sound about the same. My buddy with a 16 F150 with the 3.5 was at my place the other day and his sounds about the same also. I guess that's just the natural sound of this motor.

On another note. Is there a way to read the pressure in the tires from the dash? Is there a menu option or something I'm not seeing? I own 4 other cars ranging from years 2010-2017 and you can read the tire pressure on all of those on the dash. Seems odd you cant on a 2017 Expedition

espeed

Reaction score
I must say, my 16 has no noise with the exception of slight belt swash. Definitely no lifter or valve train noise; even when hot or with the AC on. Also, the tire pressure monitor system only monitors the pressure..Doesn't give you the pressure or what tire is low when the light comes on. Ford went cheap on that aspect. I'll post a pic of the k&n filter later. Only took about 30 minutes or so to install. Well worth it for me.