05 06 expeditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an '06 with 165k miles. No major issues, been holding out on changing the timing belt/chain and water pump. Have the bubbling paint, not sure if that an 05-06 only issue or just Ford, but at least it isn't mechanical.

The paint "bubbles" on the aluminum tailgate mostly and could also appear on the hood edges. It affects many years and appears that the aluminum was not etched properly before applying the finish at the factory.

jayy

Reaction score
i am having an issue with my 05 expedition 5.4 3v. my coder is saying Intake (A) Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded (Bank 2) i have replaced the VCT Solenoid on the drivers side but the code is still there. SUV runs real good except sometimes when i stop at a red light or idling it starts to shake but goes away soon after. also, when i bought the SUV it didnt have the catalytic converter so it also has that code. any ideas?

Cooper

Reaction score
I have an '06 with 165k miles. No major issues, been holding out on changing the timing belt/chain and water pump. Have the bubbling paint, not sure if that an 05-06 only issue or just Ford, but at least it isn't mechanical.

Its Ford I have it on my 03 (bad) and my wife has it on her 07.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 05 with 290k all original runs great have had no issue just normal maintenance. The 3v big issue is with the cam phasers they will need to be replaced eventually. So that cost would need to be calculated in along with the updated melling oil pump and VCT Solenoids. The average cost from an auto repair shop is $2200 to $2400. I still have not replaced mine but planning for a complete redo in the next few months. My experience may be different from others but I have had the cam phaser noise just past a 100k. I maintain my vehicle very well and do not beat up the vehicle driving I have replaced the VCT Solenoids and the sound has stayed the same since they started ticking. Note: I purchase used in 09 with 34k on the engine. So if you are concerned about the 3v issues then you should look at a different year.

OP
OP
P

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Instead of spending 2500 on cam phasers for an 05 to 07 it would make a lot more sense to put it towards an 08 or newer and eliminate the problem altogerther.plus spark plugs can cost a small fortune in those years.what a great idea to make a 3 piece spark plug that welded itself to the head.