15-17 Owners just get the SSV transfer case skid plate. It costs $35 including hardware!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine came in. Possible to install without a lift? Never crawled under mine.

-- Chuck

I placed the front of my vehicle on drive-on ramps when I installed the parts.

However, you could install the plate by crawling under the vehicle - but it would be tight. I would help if you had someone crawl partially under the opposite side and hold the metal plate on one end, and you hold the other end, as you start the bolts.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did mine with no lift. If you are able to crawl underneath the truck, you can do it.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I placed the front of my vehicle on drive-on ramps when I installed the parts.

However, you could install the plate by crawling under the vehicle - but it would be tight. I would help if you had someone crawl partially under the opposite side and hold the metal plate on one end, and you hold the other end, as you start the bolts.

I put it on a jack.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll bet there’s no 4L bc these trucks dont go offroad rock crawling or sand surfing where you would need it most. Lincolns are for old folks anyways

Heeeey

Ive taken mine to Utah thru some mud, dunes, rocks, and snow...

Although yeah it got some odd looks from some guys in Toyotas who clearly took themselves waaaaay too seriously

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up my Skid Plate today. My brother is the Manager of the Parts dept of a Ford Deaership. My cost was about $25 with a $35 list. So I got a deal, but not a $13 deal. :D

It feels like it has a thin layer of oil on it (likely to prevent rusting while its in storage). I will have to degrease it before I primer/paint. Thanks again for the heads up on this.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I picked up my Skid Plate today. My brother is the Manager of the Parts dept of a Ford Deaership. My cost was about $25 with a $35 list. So I got a deal, but not a $13 deal. :D

It feels like it has a thin layer of oil on it (likely to prevent rusting while its in storage). I will have to degrease it before I primer/paint. Thanks again for the heads up on this.

Buy some paint prep spray. Spray it down, and wipe off. Then you will be good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed the Skid plate. Pretty easy. Used some Black Rustoleum and it looks good. Put the front wheel up on a curb had it bolted in within ten minutes. I have it circled here in Red. I will say that I'm wondering if there should also be a skid plate in front under the transmission oil pan also. Hmmm.

Rbo6TlQ.jpg

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The OEM transmission skid plate is one of those fiber cover plastic things. More for aerodynamics than protection looks Like it is there in that pic.
I put an RCI transmission skid plate on to replace it. I’ll get around to replacing the engine skid eventually but the OEM is steel and will manage for awhile.
https://rcimetalworks.com/product/09-14-f-150-transmission-skid-plate/

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so that skid plate will NOT fit an '04 4x4 Expy?

I'm looking for real one (not fiber, etc.) for my 04. anybody got any idea where to look?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65